Why I want to compete in a Half Marathon

Since I have opened up and shared this dream of mine it is pretty much all I can think about.  I want it so bad I can taste it.  I have thought about it for a couple of years now.  And now that I have put it out there I know for sure I am going to do it.

I did some research and found one in December at the beach in Delaware.  At first I was in a panic.  Will I be ready?  Just how cold will it be?  Am I crazy to think I can do this?  What if I come in last?

Since there is a Marathon at the same time the maximum time for both is 7 hours. My pace is around 3.5 hours.  I have only ever completed 10 miles though.  I want to do this because at the end of my 10 miles I was not tired.  I only stopped because I ran out of water.  Once I push through the mental block I know I can do this.

When you think about where I started five years ago I could barely walk one mile on the treadmill.  That made me weep.  I used to walk all over NYC and DC.  And there I was getting winded and cramping during one mile.  I have come a long way since then.  I am a new person.  And this new person doesn't want to give up.

I can actually picture myself crossing that finish line. I could not do that before.  And truth be told, I start crying when I think about it.  I would love to have a group of people at the finish line to cheer me on. So if you are free on Saturday December 10 and want to go to the beach, please come on down. And make me a big pretty sign :-) Or if you want to walk with me Please do so (remember my legs are short and it's a 4mph pace...although I'm hoping I can pick it up a little).

Having this as a goal is going to motivate me through the holiday time.  You know what I'm talking about..that dangerous time.  So I will amend another previous statement.  I had said that 5Ks don't interest me. But, if you need one as a motivation to get moving and want a walking buddy for it then please email me.  If you don't mind putting me up on your couch I will be happy to come walk with you :-)  We can beat those holiday pounds together!

Okay, so now for the tricky part.  I know I can train and condition my body, but can I make the financial commitment?  The fee is $100.  I am doing this for me, but I will be thinking of you.  So, if you want to donate $10 to the cause I would be happy to give you a shout out :-)  If you have an event coming up that you want to promote I will post it in the blog (I'm global you know). I am not above pandering to the masses. 

I have a plan in place for this. I need to step up the walking.  I won't rest with just 3 miles a day.  Every weekend will need to include at least a 10 mile walk.  So if I am visiting you on the weekend please keep this in mind. Once a month I will attempt the full distance (actually longer because I don't want to be tired on that last mile). My first attempt will be in two weeks.

I know there are certain things I need to work on besides the walking:

My Concerns:
*Walking in the COLD
*Conditioning my body for water every two miles (I drink constantly while I walk)
*Does this mean no more pedicures until the race? I am serious. I don't want raw feet.
*Can I walk that early in the morning?
*What do I eat for breakfast?
*What happens if my nose starts to run?
*Using the port-o-johns if I have to pee
*Which of my sneakers will get the honors? (I think I'll want to bronze them when I am done :-)
*What happens when it's dark after work and I can't walk in the park? (if you know of a track that keeps it's lights on for the public in the Delaware County area please let me know).
*What songs need to be cut from the playlist?  (I don't want to slow down at all)
*What will I wear?  They provide a shirt (which I will wear just about every day after if I can actually complete this), but what pants?
 *Will I be able to get up early enough and make it?  My big fear is being late.

 I realized today that I don't care if I finish last.  As long as I finish.  And I have no doubt that I will.


****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you!  Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week.  The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 

Comments

Popular Posts