Surviving a Birthday Celebration

I love that you all say that I inspire you but, the truth is you are inspiring me. Seriously, I think of you all before I make any decisions now.  I think for the most part I'm doing well.  It's still a struggle every day and it always will be.  It's so much easier to make the right decisions with a support group though.

Today is my mom's birthday.  So the plan was to work in the morning, meet a friend for lunch, and then get on the road to head down to DC.  It was a good plan...in theory.  Work was crazy because I was trying to get in 8 hours of work in 4 hours.  That meant that I didn't quite get my water drinking in or my snacking.  Dang it!  It's ok though.  I had my cheerios and banana for breakfast.  And I did manage to have some water.

For lunch I was meeting a girlfriend who I had not seen in several years.  She bringing her two little girls who I had never met.  But, fell instantly in love with :-)  We chose Peace A Pizza because it is kid friendly...and delicious.  Assuming I was going to Outback or Cheesecake Factory I decided to go light.  One slice of pizza - Mozzarella, Tomato, and Basil on whole wheat crust.  DELICIOUS...oh and an Oatmeal Raisin cookie.  I can never resist. Besides, it was a small cookie.  Not like the giant ones you find all over the place now.  Don't even try to argue with me on this one.  I very irrationally will defend oatmeal raisin cookies until I die.  Come on oatmeal is good for you and so are raisins.  Enough said.

Well it's kind of hard to cut a lunch short when you haven't seen someone in 4 years and you are eating up her kids.  The next thing I knew it was almost 2 o'clock.  CRAP.  If you've ever driven on the DC beltway you know that the very last thing you want to do is find yourself on it during Friday Rush hour.  I would now be adding an extra hour to my trip.  My three hour trip was now going to be four hours minimum.

I stopped after about an hour for some gas and a quick potty break...and you know Pumpkin Spice is back at Starbucks.  It's so convenient that there is one located at the rest stop.  It was like a sign.  So I got one. I don't regret it though.  I needed some caffeine because I was going to be sitting in traffic.

It did take four hours and by the time I got to the restaurant I could have eaten through my shirt.  I had eaten some carrots on the way, but I would have gotten the side salad if I had realized I was going to be sitting so long.  Ah the power of a cute baby.  She made me forget my whole plan.

The first thing I did though was ask for water.  I had three glasses before I knew it.  I felt much better, but I was still hungry.  We asked if they had any vegetables for an appetizer and the response was No.  Seriously, who doesn't have vegetables?  Then I looked at the menu and asked about the Grilled Jumbo Artichoke.  Was it stuffed with something?  No it was not.  I didn't quite want to point out that that is indeed a vegetable, well I did want to but, I did not.  Holy crap that was unreal.  I had never had one before.  Of course I now know I was eating it wrong, but that's ok.  I'm learning.

Now what's a birthday without cupcakes?  One of the ladies made cupcakes and brought them in a lovely tupperware container. With the lid on I was fine.  However, they took the lid off to put candles in and sing and it stayed off for about ten minutes.  At which point I had to ask them to put it back on.  The smell of the icing was too inviting.  I wanted one SOOOO bad but, I had not eaten dinner yet.  It wouldn't be right.  Luckily for me, not only did they put the lid on but, they also put a napkin over it (kind of like a coffin drape) so that I couldn't see it either.  :-)

So the ladies were having a nice time, but I was still HUNGRY.  It was getting late and I really needed to eat dinner or I think I might have passed out.  The artichoke was good, but not as filling as I would have liked.  We decided to eat there instead of going somewhere else, which is good be because I might not have been able to drive anywhere.

There were a few things on the menu that looked really good. I was intrigued by this sirloin tip salad, but had decided on the Rotisserie chicken with salsa and veggies.  Proud of myself I sat back and waited. And then the wait came and told me they were out of chicken...BAH.  Ok, give me the steak salad.

After dinner we busted out the cupcakes and I was truly delighted.  Just one small funfetti cupcake with vanilla icing.  I was comfortably full at that point and one was just enough....Ok, another confession.  The restaurant also has jalapeno cornbread muffins for the tables.  I had two while I was waiting. Well ok, one before my salad and one after.  They were tiny though I swear!

I am proud to say that the jeans I was wearing tonight were freshly washed and even at the end of the night I was still in need of a belt.  Too bad I didn't pack one.

********************************************************************************* Check out the new Facebook Page for Confessions of a Former Fat Girl
I would like it to be a forum for tips and support :-)  I have been including a new tip a day for now, but hope it will grow.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=520442004#!/pages/Confessions-of-a-Former-Fat-Girl/110209765750007

You can also follow me on Twitter: Hugsnsmile 

Comments

Popular Posts