Another Left Turn

This weekend I am going to the Nascar Sprint Cup Race in Dover.  I could not be more excited.  I love a day at the track.  But, I can't help thinking about the first race in Dover that I went to ten years ago.

My dad got us tickets for the May race.  Good tickets.  In Racing Good tickets equals HIGH tickets.  We started the day parking about 800 miles away.  Okay, it was only about a mile and a half, but it might as well have been 800.  The track is huge and it looked like this tiny thing from the car.  It felt like the longest walk in the world.  Seriously, we were never going to make it.

In addition to watching a great race, you are allowed to bring a cooler and a bag to the track.  So that walk felt even worse because I was carrying a cooler and a bag.  It was torture. I just wanted to get to my seat and sit for hours.  Oh, but that was not going to happen for a little while.

Outside of the track are hundreds of trailers with merchandise and fried food.  I wanted to shop!  I wanted to eat! I got my hat (because I was too fat to fit in the Women's shirts) and probably a pound of fries. Then we walked to our seats.  Hahaha.  Do you remember when I said my seat was High?  My stomach plummeted when I saw the stairs.  It was about six flights of stairs.  I had to pull over 3 times.  My heart was racing.  My knees were weak.  I couldn't breathe.

I did not drink anything during the race.  I was petrified of having to go down those steps to the bathroom.  I was not making it back up.  It was horrible.  You would think the walk down at the end of the race would have been better.  But, it wasn't.  I had to pull over for that too.  I was so embarrassed and mad at myself.  When I got to the bottom I took a deep breath and sighed with relief.  And then it hit me.  We still had to walk back to the car.

I loved the race, but I will tell you right now that my weight made it a miserable experience.  It didn't stop me from going again, but it did make me modify my trips.  Park closer and carry less.  Buy food there.  These are the WRONG choices.

This weekend we will be parking as far away as possible.  We will load our coolers with healthy sandwiches, snacks, and water.  We will get there extra early and lap around the track twice (Yes Heather I am talking to you :-).  I want my miles in.  This time I welcome the steps (we got the good seats!).  I may get up and go walk them just for the heck of it during caution laps.  This is my first race with the "New" me and I could not be more excited.  Well, I could...Tony Stewart if you are reading this CALL ME!

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you!  Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week.  The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 

Comments

Popular Posts