Facing the Scale

If you would have told me ten years ago that I would be asking for a scale for my birthday, I would have laughed in your face.  My how times have changed.

I keep referring to stepping on the scale for the first time and how I did not even look.  My brain was in such denial and had no concept of how much I weighed. In my head I was seriously only 30lbs overweight, not 90.  The fact that I wouldn't look is proof that I really did know how bad it was, I just wasn't ready to face it.

Once I got used to weighing in I broke down and bought a scale of my own.  Of course I got a cheapy one.  Naturally it did not match the scale at work so I would dial the calibration back to match.  Don't get the cheap one.  Just don't.

After four years with it, I did my research and I found a Biggest Loser scale that is pretty sweet.  You can set the memory and it will remember your stats.  When you step on it it factors in your age, height, and activity level.    It will then show you your weight, your bmi, and the amount of calories you need to consume to maintain that weight.  The suggestion is to lessen that by 300 calories a day and you should lose a pound in 10 days.  I'm not suggesting that you have to get this scale, but you should invest in a good scale.

When you weigh make sure to keep it consistent.  Do it the same time every week.  I like to do it first thing in the morning.  And yes, I do it in my underwear because Lord only knows how much my clothes weigh and I don't want them messing up the numbers.  :-)  I also don't want what I eat  to be sitting in my belly for that.  That's just me.

Keep the scale on a flat surface. Don't use it on carpet.  And don't keep it stored standing up.

You're not supposed to weigh yourself every day.  I am so bad about this.  I do it every day.  But, I do it to keep myself in check.  Yes, my weight fluctuates a few pounds throughout the week.  Water weight sucks.  But, I know my threshold.  When it starts to stay on the higher side and not go back down, that's when I need to focus harder.

I used to look at the scale as my enemy, but now I see it as my motivator.

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you!  Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week.  The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts