The dreaded road trip

Those of you who know me know that I can put the miles on my car.  I drive all over on weekends.  In fact, there was a six-week period starting on Memorial Day weekend this year that I went on a road trip every weekend.  And I'm talking at least a 100 mile trip and as high as 550 miles.

I've gotten to be a pro at this.  Today tested me though.  I was leaving the beach around 1pm and it's generally a 2-3 hour drive home. Originally I was going to just stop for lunch on my way through town because I was planning on stopping at the Outlets for a little while anyway.  But, I changed my mind and quick made a turkey/wheat sandwich before I left.  And I am SO glad I did.  I didn't just hit normal holiday traffic, there was construction traffic before I even got to the outlets. I sat for an extra 30 minutes.  I was getting a little antsy and quick pulled out the baby carrots I had packed.  Ahhh...I needed that.  Sadly, I was still hungry after that and the one other thing I had to eat within reach was my one piece of fudge...and I ate it.  I almost stopped for more, but I didn't.

I was still a little hungry for the rest of the ride (with more traffic), but I resisted pulling over for fast food.  All I could think was "How often had I pulled in to McDonalds or Burger King for a burger and fries?".  I would inhale them and then smell the food all day long.  Nothing quick is really that good for you.  You have to think this through.  Do not get fooled and think you'll just get a salad.  Salad's at fast food are almost all just as bad as a burger and fries.  NO  Ranch Dressing!  I know. I know. You hate me now. And for the love of God, do not get a salad with the breaded chicken on it. If fast food is the only option, then just get a happy meal and be happy with portion control. Really just make sure you aren't going somewhere that is going make your car smell like food for the rest of the trip. That only makes it worse. So if you're going to stop for something like that, go in and eat it.

If you have Subway as an option pull in there.  Pick up a 6-inch turkey or chicken breast on wheat chocked full of veggies with a side of apples/yogurt.  Stay away from the meatballs no matter how good it looks.

If you are going to be on the road please plan ahead.  Pack some water.  I did not follow this today because I knew I was going to be sitting in traffic and when I have to go I have to go. But, usually I do.  It helps reduce the swelling in your legs from long drives and it's just plain good for you.

Also, pack something healthy to eat.  Bring a small cooler and keep it in reach.  If you have junk food PUT IT IN THE TRUNK!  I can't tell you how many times I came home from the beach with a bucket of caramel popcorn.  If it wasn't in the trunk, it would not make it home.

I did pretty good today, except for the fudge.  I did not come straight home because I needed to stop for some groceries.  Knowing I was hungry I went to Subway (does anyone else hear "Eat fresh!" when I say that...haha) and got a footlong.  I had half of my turkey on flatbread and saved half for lunch for tomorrow.  Then I proceeded to pick up my veggies and yogurt.

I know you're dying to know though...the answer is yes.  I got a chocolate bar at the check out and ate it in the car ride home.  And the whole time I was thinking "I confess this to the world now and I just can't stop.  What is wrong with me?".  I Psycho-analyzed myself and I think I know the answer, but that's for another day.  Just know that when I got home I immediately packed my lunch for tomorrow and did not tap into that ice cream in the freezer.  The guilt is too much.

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you!  Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week.  The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 

Comments

Popular Posts