Listen to your body

The last two nights were rough.  The top of my right foot has been really sore.  So much so that I had a hard time falling asleep.  Coincidence that I have the new socks and these were my 8 mile days?  I think not.  Damn, I'm going to have to lose the socks for walking.

Because I want to sleep tonight I decided to take today off from walking.  Besides, the forecast was for rain so I had already planned on an oil change after work.  I decided to treat myself and go to Starbucks for lunch and do a little reading.  I'd been neglecting it for a while.

** Side note - I'm reading Jen Lancaster's Bitter Is the New Black and it's hilarious. Her writing style is like mine!  So there's hope that I could actually get published some day...everyone cross your fingers**

Anyway, you know Starbucks is my drug of choice.  I've been pretty good lately of getting a Tall if I'm not getting a "skinny" drink.  So I got my Tall Vanilla Chai Latte and read a little.  It was awesome.  It was just the relaxation I needed.

Funny thing happened though.  When I got back to my desk there were two suspicious items on my desk.  Someone went to Gertrude Hawk and brought me some goodies!  Donna, you know I love you for this!  I have seriously avoided chocolate for weeks. And if you're going to have chocolate go for the good stuff.

So now I had Starbucks, a chocolate bar (that was eaten WAY too fast), and I wasn't going to be walking.  Argh.  On my way to the oil change the skies opened up and I considered going to walk.  I had to force myself to Pep Boys.  I can't believe I had to talk myself out of exercising.  But, I need to rest the foot.  :-(

I was told the oil change would take about an hour.  No problem, I brought a book.  Oh is that Jillian Michaels on Redbook?  I picked it up and read a great article.  I will share some fun stuff later.  And then saw a bunch of great recipes.  I will share them too.  Two hours later I finally left.  Normally I don't care.  But, I was hungry and I still had to pack my lunch.  BAH.  I was a little punchy when I got home, but I made my dinner and my lunch. AND then I lifted some weights :-)

I still can't believe that I feel bad when I don't get my workouts in.  Kind of cool.  And I know I stress consistency and planning ahead, but you do also need to give your body a rest.  Your muscles need to rest and rebuild.

It's also important to listen to your body.  There's "tired" and there's "exhausted".  You can push through the "tired", but if you are truly "exhausted" (not drama queen exhausted and I will call you out on it so don't even try to BS me on this) then don't try.  If you are "sore" you can push through it, but if you are "hurt" you need to rest.  Listen to your body, not your head.  

Now if you will excuse me, I need to go get some ice because I am anticipating a good walk at lunch tomorrow.  T-Minus 2 months and 11 days to go.

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you!  Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week.  The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com  

Comments

Popular Posts