World Food Day

It's World Food Day.

Today in church we had a special sermon on Hunger.  There was a special guest speaker talking about how wide spread Hunger is.  She spoke about programs that help feed the hungry, about government assistance, and about who is affected. There was a lot to take in, but I remember these two statistics: 1 in 4 people suffers from hunger (that is outrageous) and 75 million people benefit from government assistance for hunger.  I'm not going to turn this into a political discussion.  I just wanted to note how large this problem is.

It's very hard to listen to.  Of course I want to help every person that I can. Sadly those most affected are Senior Citizens and children.  I'm not going to get all preachy about how you should support programs to help (although you should), but I wanted to talk about one thing that kept going through my head.

It makes me sick to think about how much I spent on food over the years when others go without.  And what's worse is that I could afford food and yet I made such unhealthy choices.  It seems so irresponsible. And quite frankly it was.  People are going to bed hungry every night and I was hoarding boxes of cookies in secret drawers.

I will challenge you this: This week when you are grocery shopping think about those who cannot afford food.  It may force you to make better decisions.  Think of the money you can save when you don't buy all of the extras.  I have been buying a couple cans of vegetables every week to donate to the local food bank.  I am not eating nearly as much as I used to so I can afford a few dollars every week to help those in need.

*************************************************************************
Check out my Facebook Page for  Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: @hugsnsmile

Comments

Popular Posts