Surviving a day at the office...is that mcdonalds I smell?

Happy Thursday Beautiful Ones,

I took last night off from blogging so that I could relax a little and read.  Just so you know though, I did stop and do another 5 miles in the park before I went home. :-)

Today I want to talk about the temptations in the office.  My company has an Open Office atmosphere.  That means that it's desks in a large unpartitioned area.  And these people EAT.  Hardly a day goes by that I don't walk by a desk or table covered in food.  In theory it's nice.  People are sharing delicious treats and enjoying their day.  In reality it's a nightmare.  I can avoid going out to unhealthy places by bringing my own food and still the temptations follow me.

We are SITTING at our desks almost all day and then snacking on high calorie treats.  This is not good.  Once in a while is fine, but I see it all day every day.  Today for instance, the group behind me decided to go to McDonalds for breakfast.  All I smell is greasy food.  Last week they ordered pizza. And the week before it was bagels. And the week before someone brought in lasagna.

Previously my desk was located close to the kitchen.  Every time someone heated something up in the microwave I smelled it.  And this was all day long.  It was horrible.  Do you know how many people make popcorn every day?  I do.  A lot!  And let me tell you, way too many people heat up fish in microwaves.  That is just wrong!

Today we have been smelling stuff all morning. Who is making tacos for breakfast?  Mystery solved.  There is a crockpot potluck today.  It is making the entire office smell of food.  Again, it's nice in theory, but smelling food makes you hungry.  It also makes you not want the healthy options you brought in for your own lunch.  :-(

Yesteday I was commenting on the difference in my appetite when I walk at lunch versus when I stay in.  When I walk I am hungry all afternoon.  My metabolism is in high gear and I am burning calories.  Yesterday I was quite content with the food I had and I was fine....until someone made popcorn.  As soon as I smelled it I grabbed a box of chickadees (Target's version of goldfish).  My brain did not even register I was doing it until I had stuffed a handful in my mouth.  My body was completely reacting to my environment and I had no idea.  Argh!

My pod-mates are on their way out for lunch right now.  They are going to Saladworks again.  GO GIRLS!  I will be heading over to the mall when they get back to walk off some of this food frustration.  And then I will enjoy my healthy lunch. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some water to be drinking.

****Please note***

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you!  Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week.  The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts