For the ladies only

Guys, I thank you for following me, but you can skip this one.  This one does not apply to you.  I'll tell you how much I weigh and all of my embarrassing fat secrets, but this I just am not comfortable talking with you about.  Believe me, you don't want to know about this stuff anyway. Come back again tomorrow please :-)

Let's get down and dirty Ladies.  I think you know what I'm about to talk about.  The monthly cycle.  Ewww.  I know, it's gross.  I've had many a coversation about what we would "rather have than have my period."  I think my favorite suggestion was "I would rather have just one day of sitting on the toilet all day than have to deal with it all week."  haha...good one (and you know who you are).

If you are the type of girl who doesn't "believe in cramps" just turn away now.  I can't even speak to you.  If you have ever found yourself unable to get out of the fetal position because your cramps hurt so bad, well you're in the right place.  That was me!

Did you catch that? WAS.  I used to have cramps for three out of my five days.  I wanted to cry and I did.  I kept hearing that exercise was the best thing for cramps. *Insert hysterical laughter here* The last thing I wanted to do was even get out of bed let alone move around.  Just give me my heating pad, a handful of midol, and leave me alone.

So here's the thing.  Exercising does work, but it is easier to do it during your period when you are doing it regularly.  For you I looked it up.  Exercising releases beta-endorphins, which are internal opioids -- your own “human morphine”.  Blah blah blah.  Big words don't mean anything to me.  It didn't actually hit me until I started doing it, but it's true.  Don't take my word for it though.  Try it.

Another thing I had heard was how food and beverages affect your cramps.  Seriously?  But, it's true.  I just looked (http://kerryg.hubpages.com/hub/menstrualcrampcauses) to see what it is that you should avoid.  haha.  Just about everything: Meat, dairy, transfat, alcohol...What do they suggest you eat?  Just eat healthy.  Protein.  Vegetables.  High Fiber (yep, they suggest that).  Water.  All of the stuff you should be eating anyway. Bonus.  I'm doing the right things. Go Me!

When I was on that site I saw two things that stood out to me: Sodium and Caffeine.  Don't get excited.  I'm not saying you should have them.  You should avoid them.  Sodium makes you bloat.  Duh.  And Bloating can worsen cramps.  Caffeine only exacerbates cramps. I don't even want to talk about how much soda I used to drink (actually I do, but I was saving that for another post...morning til night...No wonder I was a mess).

 I'm not saying that I don't get cramps any more.  I still do, but usually for few hours on the first day.  Which is way better than 3 full days of wanting to implode or rip someone's head off.  So get started now.  Just think how much better you'll feel next month.

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you!  Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week.  The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts