Curveballs and Harry Connick Jr

So this weekend has been eventful and a tad funny.  I've done fairly well, but you know how weekends can be.

Yesterday morning I was planning on meeting a friend at the high school track at 9am (when they actually open...as opposed to the 8:30am when I snuck in last week...shhh) for a trial run of the full 13.1 miles.  I got there a few minutes late and couldn't even find a parking spot.  It appears that every event possible was happening there.  I believe there was a bone marrow drive, a field hockey practice, and possibly a street fair on the track (don't know what it was, but there were tents all over). CRAP.  Obviously I can't walk the track.  So I call my friend and she drives by the track by her house.  Bonus!  It's open.  I didn't let that curveball get me!

We got there a little after 10.  I was pumped. I was also aware that I was getting a late start.  I might not be able to get the full time in.  My mom was coming up and I wanted to make sure I got to see her.  Oh well, I can at least put in 8 miles. I would hate anything less since that's my big day to do a full walk.  I started out great.  My pace was awesome.  Around mile 2 I got it in my head that maybe I could run sprints on the 100 meter stretches on the track. Go me!  I was awesome.  I did not do it every lap, but I tried every other lap at the point.

When I looked at my time something seemed off.  I was way off pace and not in a good way.  Ok, so not WAY off, but I was off.  My walking after the run was just not what I usually do.  Seriously, the running actually slowed me down.  Argh.  After 5 miles it was clear that I would not be able to keep up this pace for the full 8 miles.  So I stopped the running.  My walking picked back up and I was back to normal.  YEAH!

When I finished mile 7 my friend had to go, but I really wanted another mile.  So I stayed.  After that mile I thought "why not go for the 10?".  I had an internal argument with myself.  I would hate if I did less than that, but it was later than anticipated and it was lunch time.  I was also farther from home than the original plan.  I wouldn't get to eat until later than planned.  I really wanted that 10 miles though.  So I pushed for it.

My body decided to take matters into her own hands though.  When I had two laps to go I had a tremendous pain in my belly.  I will be nice about this and just say it was apparent that I needed to get to a bathroom PRONTO.  They had port-a-johns, but no way in hell was I using it.  I pushed for one more lap (because I'm a sadomasochist).  I then limped to my car (lest we not forget that running is bad for my knees).  I literally could not drive home fast enough.  It was the longest 20 minutes of my life.  I now have a new worry for the half-marathon.  Ugh. Curveball number two.  haha..literally.

After my shower I really needed to make lunch.  Ironically, after my rant on bagels on Friday I had one.  I hadn't gotten to the store and I had a bagel in my freezer.  So I made a turkey-mustard-cucumber-bagel. Ahhh...much better.  I felt normal again.

I was going to be meeting my mom and grandmom for dinner and a movie.  Behind the movie theater is a lovely little pond with a fountain.  So I grabbed my book and headed over there to read for a bit and enjoy the sun.  When I got out of the car my body felt the full blow of the morning walk.  I was limping like I was 100 years old.  I somehow made it over to the bench and lowered myself down to sit.  I believe you probably heard the moaning of pain if you listened closely.

It was a lovely hour just sitting there and listening to the fountain.  There were a bunch of people walking the loop around too.  So proud.  I tried hard to read, but I was easily distracted.  I could not stop staring at the squished piece of chocolate and caramel on the ground.  Calm down.  I never had any intention of eating it, but it really did make me want to run over to the store and buy some.  I did not though.  I was also distracted by the smell of burgers and onion rings.  I had thought that little pond might be a good place to walk one day, but that totally got nixed when I smelled the food.  NO WAY would I torture myself like that.

Soon my party had arrived and we went to Panera for dinner.  Hooray!  The Harvest Orchard salad is back.  Okay, it's not the exact one, but it's close: Roasted turkey, pears, cranberries, gorgonzola cheese, pecans, spring mix, and balsamic vinaigrette.  YUM. I got the pick two and had the french onion soup with it.  And I topped it off with an iced green tea.  It was my treat.  YUM.

After dinner we were off to go see Dolphin's Tale.  I highly recommend eating dinner first.  The popcorn doesn't get to you as much if your belly is full.  I bought a large water (I don't want to talk about the price), but it had a lid so I could have it later. Plus, I cried throughout the whole movie so it was nice to replenish my fluids.

***Side note: Go see this movie.  The story about the dolphin is heartwarming and Harry Connick Jr is just Yum in a bottle!!!***

We didn't buy any snacks at the theater, but mom brought "shark poop"...I'm sensing a theme for the day.  Ugh.  It was a chocolate covered seed. They were actually pretty good.  Sadly, it unleashed my chocolate thirst.  After the movie we went to Bed, Bath and Beyond.  I was good the whole time, until check out.  I spied the godiva bars.  Dark chocolate Raspberry.  Yep, I got one.  You can be proud though, I didn't actually eat it until I got home.

Today was my day off.  My knee is not happy with me about the running and has gone on strike.  I will walk again tomorrow, but today I rest.

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you!  Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week.  The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 

Comments

Popular Posts