Tips - Part 3 - Keep a journal

How many times have you heard "keep a  journal of what you eat"?  Well there's a reason for that.

When you aren't eating right you tend to make excuses for it.  Well it's okay for me to have this pizza because I skipped lunch...I'm having a diet soda so I can have another taco...I hardly ate yesterday so I need to make up for it today...I didn't have dessert last night, so I can have two tonight.

STOP!

Start writing down everything you eat.  And I mean everything.  Do it at the time you eat it too.  Don't wait until the end of the day.  You might forget about that donut or that Latte. Oh yeah, keep track of what you drink too. If you have the opportunity then write down the calories too.  You can go online at the end of the day and check if you have to.  Tally it up.  I'm pretty sure you will find something(s) you can cut out.

I did this at the beginning of the year.  I kept track for about 6 weeks.  Even though I thought I knew what I was eating I realized that there were things throughout the day that I forgot about.  What did I learn from it?  The first is that I needed to cut back on my Starbucks.  Even though it worked within my daily calories, I did not need that much sugar.  So I cut it back to weekends only. That usually gets amended on weekends away, but for the most part I'm good.  Now it's only one day on the weekend.  And truth be told, it's only every other week.  Their stock must have plummeted.

The second is that I was not having enough vegetables.  I thought I was, but I wasn't.  So I stepped it up. I started making a salad with every dinner.  Sometimes it was a giant salad for dinner, but for the most part it is in addition to my dinner.

Keeping the journal is going to be hard.  It's going to make you face just how much and just how bad you eat. :-(

In addition to the food, I would suggest keeping a journal of how much you exercise too.  Mark down that walk at lunch you did. Mark down that workout dvd.  Hopefully it will inspire you to add a little more to your schedule. 

If you need someone to read it then feel free to email me.  I won't judge I promise.  Sometimes you need to know that someone is watching over your shoulder to make some changes.  Look at me. I've gone down 2 jean sizes since I started this blog.  And I may not even know you. :-)

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you!  Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week.  The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts