Walking 101

Hello there beautiful People,

This morning I woke up to a sad story on the news. Yesterday was the Philadelphia Marathon and two people died during the race.  One was a 40 year old during the Full Marathon and one was a 21 year old who just finished the Half Marathon.  My heart breaks and my thoughts go out to their families.  Any thoughts I had of breaking into a run are gone.  Walking it is good enough. 

And on that note I am soaking my feet right now and getting ready for a pedicure.  I am packed for my trip and this is my reward.  I wanted to do it yesterday, but I did more overtime than I want.  Oh and on that note, don't walk 10 miles and then put in 11 hours of overtime in two days.  I tried to get up and walk around often, but my calves were still a little sore today.  I walked four miles at lunch and they felt much better after.  YEAH!

So I was tired when I posted on Friday and I forgot some things.  If you want to start walking or are new to it I wanted to tell what has worked for me.


*Don't wear rings (your fingers may swell)
*Keep baby wipes in your bag/car to clear the sweat when you're done
*Focus on pumping your arms (when my mind drifts I tend to look like George Jefferson when I walk)
*Make sure you have a good playlist (keeps you moving)
*Put your hair up (sweaty necks and hair are gross)
*Sneakers sneakers sneakers!  (Good tread and comfortable)
*Bring plenty of water
*Bring a friend (although talking may slow you down)
*Don't forget sunglasses
*Wake up early and go walking before you shower
*Bring a protein bar
*Put the phone away (although bring it for safety)
*Be careful of wet leaves (I almost took a header today)
*Pee before you walk (even if you don't think you have to)
*Wear layers (if it's cold when you start, your body heat will make it better)
*Trim your toenails first (Don't laugh...okay, you can laugh, but I'm a hard walker and I have put more holes in socks even with short nails).
*Carry small hand weights
*Just when you think you are done, take one more lap...go one more block.  You totally have it in you.

Now is as good of a time to start as any.  Be consistent and push yourself.  When you feel that you are improving then go faster or further.  Your body is capable of so much.  Just be smart about it.  Don't start by trying to run 5 miles if you've never run before.  Start with a 30 minute brisk walk.  Then up it to 45...then 60. 

Ok, my feet are pruning.  Time for the pedicure. 

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you!  Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week.  The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts