A good day with the Brain: Planning ahead

Hello Sunshines,

Are you ready for the Holidays?  I'm getting there :-)  This morning I walked for ten miles and used that time to plan out some of the upcoming weeks.

I had originally planned on walking 13 miles today, but my Thanksgiving trip is coming quickly and I have a lot to do.  I've been away the past couple weekends and there's been overtime this week.  If I walked the full time I would not be able to move for the rest of the day so I stopped at 10.

Right before I was about to hit the track I was on the phone with my mom who asked if I had charged my ipod.  I hadn't, but I hadn't used it in two days.  I checked and I still had half the battery.  I was set.  Until I got on the track and started to listen.  One my my earbuds had died.  Bah.  I could listen to one, but I was going to feel off all day.  Oh well, the sacrifices I make.  haha.  Luckily, I had anticipated this and bought another pair a few weeks ago.  So I could make the switch when I got home.

The beginnings of the walk are always the toughest.  It feels like I am climbing a mountain when I think about how far I have to go.  Immediately my mind went to the Half.  I need to pace myself for finishing, not try to be competitive with myself for a good time.  I know this, but it's hard for me to accept.  I am a competitive person by nature and I want to finish with a good time. 

I started to think about how when I am at the halfway mark people who are competing in the full marathon will be passing me to head back.  They will have done twice as much as me and beat me to the finish line.  These are crazy thoughts.  They are running.  They have been training for this.  They have earned it.  So why do I feel like my efforts are good enough when I think about it?  I hate this.  I have worked hard.  I have come so far.  One day that will be me, but it's going to take some time.  It's an internal struggle I deal with all of the time.  The good news is that most of the time I truly do believe in myself and have faith in myself, but there are those nagging moments when the Former Fat Girl gets into my head.

Halfway through the walk I started to change my thinking.  Instead of dwelling on my time, I started to think about what I can do to improve on it. Sundays are my day off and I will not be walking.  I will be doing weights, abs, and possibly the step.  Monday I will walk at lunch.  Then it gets tricky.  Tuesday I have lunch plans and then I am heading out of town after work.  I won't be arriving to my destination until around 9pm.  So there will be no walking that day.  The next morning we are leaving for the Outerbanks. By the time we get there it will be dark.  And I mean DARK.  There aren't really a lot of street lights.  What I can do is get up early and head to the fitness center for 30-60 minutes before I get ready.  I can nap in the car on the ride down.  Good plan.

I was planning on walking every day while I'm there, but why not aim for 8 miles every day.  I'll be getting up for the Sunrise every morning.  I can certainly go and walk for 2 hours early in the day.  So that's the plan.  This of course is weather pending.  I will be happy if I can get 2 of those days in, but I will aim for 3. 

We'll be driving back on Saturday and I will have Sunday free.  Even though that's normally a day off, I will go to the fitness center for an hour and then i will take Monday off.  I'm happy with this plan.    It's all about planning ahead.  I was so inconsistant before and that's not cool.  You have to be smart about it.

So halfway through the walk I could feel the blister starting on the bottom of my foot.  I kept going though.  I limped to the car when I was done and drove home.  When I got home I wanted to cry I could barely walk.  The water blister on my foot was HUGE.  I did not want to put shoes on to go out again, but I had no choice.  I had made plans to meet a friend at Starbucks and get a little shopping done.  I probably would not have taken so long if I could have moved faster, but oh well.  I was extremely productive and even came home for a long night of overtime.  My brain was my friend today.

I have good post planned for tomorrow so stay tuned...

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you!  Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week.  The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts