Thanksgiving Dinner - A Good Plan and The Ugly Numbers

So we know that the holidays are tough when it comes to keeping the weight off.  In fact, most people gain weight.  I heard something disturbing on the radio the other day.  The average weight gain used to be 5-10lbs and now it's 7-12lbs over the Holidays.  That's insane for such a short period of time.  Sadly, I know I've contributed to those numbers over the years.  That's pretty much going up as pant size.

I would love to say that my goal this holiday season is to lose weight, but realistically, I will be happy to maintain.  We know I have a sweet tooth that will be the end of me. And on that note, if you are reading this and are going to see me this holiday season, PLEASE DO NOT GIVE ME CHOCOLATE.  Every year my mom gives me Andes Candies.  I love that.  I look forward to that. I live for that.  I also binge eat them.  I can't eat just one.  So I'm even going to ask that I not get those this year.  :-(

To Survive the Holidays I have come up with a plan.  I also want to share some numbers.

Tips to get through Thanksgiving day-
*Wake up 30 minutes early and start the day with a walk or another workout.
*Make sure you eat a healthy breakfast (Oatmeal, Egg Whites, Whole wheat waffles).
*Drink plenty of water through out the day
*Make sure you eat a good portioned lunch
*Chew gum while you are preparing the meal (cuts down on the snacking)
*If you fear sneaking bites, offer to set the table or help clean the house before dinner
*Make smaller portions of the high calorie/fatty dishes
*Maker larger portions of the vegetables and salads
*Limit the numbers of desserts (If Sam likes apple pie, Lisa likes pumpkin pie, Paul likes cookies, and Ann likes chocolate mousse compromise. Don't make one of each)
*If you're watching football throughout the day, take halftime and go outside and play a game yourself.
*If you feel the urge to get up for seconds, wait five minutes. Your stomach may catch up with you and you may be fuller than you thought.

Hope that helps.  Now I want to share the numbers.  Remember, 3500 calories is a pound and you generally burn 100 calories every mile.

The Meal Courtesy of: http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-thanksgiving-food-b362227

BeveragesApple cider, 1 cup: 115
Champagne Punch, 6 ounces: 124
Wine, 3.5 ounces: 84
Kahlua Sombrero, 4 ounces: 340

Appetizers and First Courses
*Pay attention to the crackers and dip.  Are you really only eating 5?

Mixed nuts, 1 ounce: 170
Candied Pecans, 1 ounce: 139
Cheese ball, 1 ounce: 110
Crackers, 5: 80
Crudités selection, 8 ounces: 75
Sour Cream & Onion Dip, 2 tablespoons: 60
Chex Mix, 2/3 cup: 130
Stuffed Mushrooms, 6 small: 386
Deviled Eggs, one: 59
Cheese Puffs, one: 71
Shrimp with Cocktail Sauce, 3: 30
Fruit Cup, 1/2 cup: 70
Sherbet, 1/4 cup: 55
Pumpkin Soup, 8 ounces: 70

Salads


Tossed salad with Oil and Vinegar, 10 ounces
Ambrosia Salad, 1 cup: 183
Molded Jell-O Salad, ½ cup: 103

Main Course

Dinner Roll, 1 small: 87 (I'm good for 2 or 3)
Butter, 1 pat: 36
Cheesy Corn Bread, 2" X 2": 96
Turkey, roasted white meat, 4 ounces: 180
Turkey, roasted dark meat, 4 ounces: 323
Turkey Gravy, 1/4 cup: 50
Stuffing, 1/2 cup: 190 (Yes please...1/2 a cup?  Um... try 3x that much)
Mashed Potatoes, 1 cup: 190 (hahahahaha...so we make two bowls. One for me, and one for everyone else...that's my downfall....1 cup?  More like 5...that's 1000 calories in mashed potatoes alone)
Candied Yams, 1/2 cup:  210
Sweet Potato Casserole, 3/4 cup: 624
Honey Glazed Carrots, 1/2 cup: 45
Green Beans Almondine, 1/2 cup: 220
Green Bean Casserole, 1/2 cup: 75
Peas and Pearl Onions, 1/2 cup: 40
Jellied Cranberry Sauce, 1/4 cup: 110
Cranberry Relish, 1/2 cup: 76

Dessert

Pumpkin Pie, 1/8 of a 9" pie : 316
Apple Pie, 1/8 of a 9" pie : 411 (1 right after dinner...and another before bed...both with ice cream)
Pecan Pie, 1/8 of a 9" pie : 503
Vanilla Ice Cream, 1/2 cup: 145
Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling, 1" round: 306
Chocolate Cream Pie, 1 large slice: 535
Baked Apple, 1 apple: 182
Tea, brewed, 8 ounces: 2
Coffee, black: 10 ounces: 5
Coffee with Cream and Sugar, 10 ounces: 120
Coffee with Baileys Irish Cream and Sugar, 10 ounces: 18

Good luck everyone!  I'm here if you need me :-)

Happy Thanksgiving

*************************************************************************
Check out my Facebook Page for  Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: @hugsnsmile

Comments

Popular Posts