Saturday Recap: Family Celebration

Hello my Lovelies and Gents,

Saturday was a GLORIOUS day. My family was getting together to celebrate the end of Chemo for my cousin Janice. HOLLA!  She still has a major heart surgery to get through, but when one finishes chemo that is a time to get together and be thankful.

I was excited to get dressed for the party because I was planning on wearing my cute little navy blue with white polka dot skirt. It's a little short and flares out. I can't really wear it to work and usually on weekends I'm going pretty casual so I finally had a reason to wear it. YEAH!  I paired it with a form fitting navy blue scoop neck t-shirt. It was my first time wearing it and it felt a little big...hmmm...

I started my day with a selfie mani/pedi. OMG my feet needed it...it was gross how much I scraped off.  Since I was going with the Blue and white skirt I opted for my lollipop red nail polish...feeling a little flirty..although going to a family party so I'm not sure why I did that.

Since we weren't going to be eating for a little while I went to Starbucks for my iced unsweetened green tea and a sandwich. I paid separately and got two treat receipts. Holla!  And then I realized that I was tired so I got a mocha light frap (130 calories) and another treat receipt. haha...Um...I think I probably shouldn't use them.

So the plan was to study in the car on the way over. I was doing it and then 20 minutes into the ride the inevitable happened. "Mom, I have to use the bathroom." There was a pause and then the response "I'm glad you are so good with your Hydration."  And so we stopped for a potty break. woo woo. I studied over to Jersey and then I had to play navigator.

So when we got to the party and the first thing I noticed was the burgers on the grill...I could smell them...mmm..I walked inside and saw the fruit platter and the pasta salads...I was a little happy.

When it was time for me to eat I went with Portion Control as my theme. One burger, one scoop of potato salad, one half of a deviled egg, and two scoops of the macaroni salad (olive oil and tomatoes). My drink of choice was a water.  A little while later my belly was feeling it so I cracked open a sprite to make me burp. I wish it was a bottle, because I only drank a little of the can.

A little while later I was inside looking for drinks and the ice bucket only had soda in it. So I tried leaning over it to get some bottles of water. My very tall cousin had done it. Well umm...I knocked it over. Water and ice everywhere. It's not a party until I make a mess.

So the funny part of the party was my attempt to take a picture with my cousin Alyssa. The backstory here is that we are both pretty photogenic girls, but when we try to take a picture together it's just a disaster. Seriously, this has been going on for YEARS. She was a model and I am the queen of selfies. This should NOT be this hard. After a few failed attempts we resorted to props and silly faces.



My Uncle Barney was at the party and I hadn't seen him in a while. He was down in NC for a few weeks on a job last month. LUCKY!!!!!  And he happened to mention that he brought back some BBQ...Um...HELLO! Actually the story started with Donnie Wahlberg and moved to BBQ.  He has a ton of it in the freezer. My mouth watered on demand. Honestly, I have been thinking about it every day since he mentioned it. I was invited to come over and enjoy some...now I just have to figure out when....mmm BBQ *Cue Drool*

Soon it was time for his family to head out and when my Aunt Sarah was saying goodbye she commented that she still reads the blog all of the time and that it had been a few days. Ooops. Sorry about that. It was a laptop free 3 days...that felt good though.

Okay so there was also a veggie tray that came out later and so I was hitting that up pretty good...that and the pepperoni/cheese tray. But, I was not allowed to hit that tray unless I got a bunch of veggies in.

In the Dining Room was the dessert table...umm...little brownie bites, vanilla cupcakes with the most frosting I have ever seen, Angel food cake, pineapple upside down cake...I felt dizzy.  I hit up a couple of the brownie bites and could not resist a cupcake. I have no shame. When we were cleaning up I dove in for a slice of Angel Food. I can't help it. Grandmom made it and she makes the BEST cake. Ugh...belly hurts.

At some point in the night someone found the giant bag of tootsie rolls.  My family went CRAZY. It was hilarious. It was like liquid gold. People were coming out of the wood work for them. The cutest was cousin Masha who is just plumb adorable. I was joking that she was storing them in her pockets. We practically had to wrestle them away from her.



Maybe it was the Tootsie Rolls talking, but at one point Aunt Kathy asked if I wanted to go to Atlantic City for the night. We could stop at Wal-mart and pick up toiletries for me and matching bikinis. We could take a dip in the ocean before heading up to Reading for the next family party the following day. I thought about it. But, more family bonding happened and then it just got too late. See!  I'm not the only crazy one in my family. I'm surrounded by them. :-)

At the end of the night food was being packed up and sent home with people. I ended up with the veggie tray (which I was told was purchased because I was going to be there haha), some cans of diet soda (this will last me through Christmas), and some of the macaroni salad.

I almost took some Yoo Hoo...oh yeah...



So guess what came on before we left...SHARKNADO!  HOLLA!  We didn't stay for the whole thing, just long enough to get my #Sharknado fix. :-)

The party was so much fun and I was so happy to see Janice looking so well. This is her in the pashmina standing with Aunt Kathy. Doesn't she look fabulous! I heart my family!



Have a Blessed Night.

I signed up with Run for Autism again :-)

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/jennifer-henderson-6/RNRPhilly13


****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts