Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Thin Mint 5K

Hello my Lovelies and Gents,

Sunday was the Thin Mint 5K. Now first let me say that in general I do not like to sign up for races on Sundays. For this particular one I had signed up before I found it out was on Sunday.  I have two more Sunday races coming up. argh. If they were not for good cause I would cancel, but I am committed. I will need to figure out a church alternative.

So Sunday morning Heather and I got up early. We did not plan our outfits and yet we matched each other...awww. Black and neon yellow. We left early, I'm not sure why...and got there long before the race started. But, it's a good thing we did. It was MOBBED. Everyone was there to support the Girl Scouts. It was so heartwarming.

The first thing we saw was the table of Girl Scout cookies...umm...SCORE!  They had tables all over for camps for the summer. There was also a table with Girl Scout goodies. But, first we went to check in. We took our swag bag to the car so that we didn't have to carry them around. We pulled out our shirts to check them out and then at the same time we pulled out the full boxes of Thin Mints and started jumping around and screaming like we had won the lottery...well in a way we had!  haha. Seriously, JUMPING AROUND AND SCREAMING!  We were hoping for a few cookies, never dreamed of a full box.  Oh and the t-shirts are cute too.

Before the race started we took a detour to use the ladies room. Good thing we did too because when we came out the line was three times as long. We had a few minutes to spare so we checked out the Girl Scout table. I have been wearing big headbands to workout in with my short hair cut and I was intrigued by a big white one that I saw. It was cute. It was $10. I happened to have $10 in cash on me...but there was also that table full of Girl Scout cookies...I decided to wait until after the race to see which I wanted.

The race started and we took off. After running a mile I had a problem. I had a slight cramp in my side. I am so used to running at night that I have a hard time with morning runs. In general I haven't had water in about 12 hours. I don't like to put myself in the position of needing to use the ladies room. So we cut it down to a brisk walk for a little bit. It also coincided with the concrete and I do not run on concrete. It's so bad for your knees and my knees are bad enough...argh.

Eventually we started running again and then I started to feel something.

***** Guys, feel free to turn away. Go see what's on ESPN right now. You don't need to read the following. Scroll down until you see the asterisks again.*****

Okay so ladies, you know I had my period. And you know it was two weeks late. It's not going to be good....I don't know what happened. But, at some point the tampon dislodged. It was no longer where it was supposed to be. Don't worry, it didn't fall out, but I almost wish it had. If you have never had one try to escape your body voluntarily consider yourself lucky. It basically feels like knives are down there. We still had half a race to go. It was not going to be fun. And it most definitely slowed me down.

I know my mom is freaking out right now "Too much!  You are sharing TOO MUCH!" but I do this for a reason. Weird things happen in life. My lesson here is that if I use the ladies room before another race I will make sure to change the tampon also. ARGH

It was a rough race, but we made it through. As we approached the finish line we were running and Heather asked if I wanted to sprint. hahahah...I know that physically I was able to do that, but oh lord I did not see it happening.  It hurt running. I felt like I would pass out if I ran faster.

So imagine that as we cross the finish line I grab my water and keep running to the ladies room.  When I came out I felt soooooo much better. I felt like I could run it all over again. hahaha.

*****Okay guys, feel free to come back now *****

The race was over and we were wandering around. The good news is that the Girl Scout table took credit cards so  I didn't have to choose between cookies and the headband. I got the headband and a pretty cool water bottle. The water bottle is almost like a bag. It's flat when it's empty but rounds out when filled with water. It had a clip and stands up on it's own when full. I'm all about checking out good water bottles. Oh yeah, I almost forgot...I also got chapstick that tastes like a Samoa!  It really does. I'm hoping that the taste of it will help with sweet cravings when I'm not really hungry. So far so good. I taste yummy!

Then I stopped over and got a box of tagalongs. I couldn't help it. I know that we got a free box of Thin Mints, but I will do ANYTHING for a tagalong. I also bought a box to donate.

On our way home we were both hungry. We had planned on stopping at Starbucks so that I could get a big ass venti anything to keep me awake for my study day. We were talking about the best way to get home and I joked that if we missed the exit we could to this other way and stop for Moe's Southwest Grill...Welcome to Moe's!  She was an easy sell...until she started to worry about leaving the dog at home.  That's fine. We don't have to go there, but now my brain was on what could I eat.

We decided to stop at the pizza place that is by Starbucks. I couldn't stop thinking of that chicken tender that I had during the basketball game last week. Yes, you heard me correctly . I had been fantasizing about a stinking chicken tender for a week.   So I ordered the chicken tenders and fries.

I decided to split it and have half for lunch and half for dinner. After I ate I sat and studied...and watched Golden Girls.  All I could think of was "how soon until I can eat dinner???". I have no self control.   When I finally did I felt sick. I only had 3 tenders for lunch and 2 for dinner. I felt so sick. Bah!  My body can not handle the fat and grease. That's a good thing...but the Former Fat Girl is PISSED!

Before I go I want to once again give praise to this race. There were so many people. Not everyone was there to run. There were so many people who signed up to walk and show their support. That's what I'm talking about people! You don't have to have the best time. But, you'll have a great time. So grab some friends and get out there for a walk. Have some fun.

We beat last week's time by a minute. Imagine how much better it would have been if I could have run at full speed!  I'm not going to lie. I got a little pleasure at passing some of those kids. Oh don't judge, they can hold their own. There is nothing so humbling as seeing some young kid blow past you.  It happens to me all of the time. haha. I would also like to give a shout out to the 70+ runners...that's 70 years. So inspiring.

Okay kids, we have a special potential client coming to the office in the morning. They would like us to get there early...so basically I get to sleep for about an hour and then get up. Okay, not that soon, but it feels like it.

Have a Blessed Night.

I signed up with Run for Autism again :-)


****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.


No comments:

Post a Comment