2013 Health & Fitness Competition: Initial Assessment

Hello my Lovelies and Gents,

Alright kids, it's begun. Today was Day 2 of the Fitness Assessments for the Health & Fitness Challenge at work.  Enter Madness!

Yesterday was my day of rest and for some reason I woke up with a sore knee. A strange twinge that I hadn't felt before. Dang it.

The first assessment was at noon. I could not wait to go change and head out there. I didn't have a scheduled time for mine so I figured I would get out there a little early and get a head start.

When I got out there a couple people were already started. YEAH!  I love my Eager Beavers. I quickly joined in and took care of a few of my numbers.

I was pretty good with my sit and reach. I'm pretty flexible. I have really been good about stretching. 

My push ups were okay. They were better than the first assessment last year, but not as good as the final assessment. But, I haven't really been focusing on that so I'm not really surprised.

My plank was also better than the first initial assessment, but not as good as the final. That makes me sad. I work on that all of the time, but it was a different environment. Outside on the grass is not the flattest surface. I don't know if that was a factor or not.

I was not thrilled with the jump squats with weights. In general, I tried to avoid jumping in an attempt at a peace offering with my knees. The numbers for this were lower than the weighted sit squats so I didn't know where my numbers would fall. I was ok with my numbers on this, but I will try to work on it.

Then I got a little busy helping and guiding people through their assessments. Wellness Partner In Crime (WPIC) and new teammate Carol came out for her Assessment. I promised to hold off my 1 mile run/walk and run with her. When it was time to run were were doing great for the first 3 laps. I got super parched and needed to stop for a quick drink of water (pollen city). Overall, I'm happy with my time for it. WPIC finished 30 seconds in front of me.

When it came time for my pinches and waist measurements I was not looking forward to it. First of all, I should have done that before I started workout out. I felt a little bloated. Second of all, I really cut back on the weights when I immersed myself in training.  I have been slowly working it back in, but it's not been my focus. I definitely lost a little muscle tone since the last assessment.

I LOVED today. I loved working with everyone and cheering them on. I even loved pushing FCANR during his jump squats. I was done with my stuff but I still jumped in and did bodyweight squats with him.

One thing that I was a little surprised to hear was how shocked people were when we told them that the course mapped for them was a quarter of a mile. They needed to loop it four times. I'm not sure how short people think a mile is.

Okay so now that the assessments are complete it's time to get started. We will have boot camps on Thursdays. I'm happy to report that I am Alex's Girl Friday for this. I can participate, but instead I will help him watch everyone and show proper form. I'm good with that.

I'm also going to offer to everyone that they can join me out on the lawn at lunch on Tuesdays. I will do my best to simulate the assessments and we can work on them together.

You know that now that I am participating I WANT TO WIN!  I really really do...but I have to step back. I want to take this exam more. I can't let this affect my studying.   If there's anything that I learned the last two days, it's that I can do this. And I'm good at it. So I will use this as more motivation.  I just have to plan ahead.

It's hard for me to study after an intense workout. And if I'm skipping the gym on Thursdays now I guess I need to go back on Wednesdays. It frustrates me to sit in traffic anyway, so why not workout.  If I'm not participating in the boot camps that can be my day of rest. I should still get home a little after 7 and that can be a new study night.

I definitely need to sit down this weekend and put together a schedule.

Have a Blessed Night.

I signed up with Run for Autism again :-)

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/jennifer-henderson-6/RNRPhilly13


****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 

Comments

Popular Posts