Defending Gina

Hello my Lovelies and Gents,

Before I get started let me start by saying, yes I went for pizza during the game. Actually I went to watch the game with my family and indulged in the pizza. I just had one slice though and one chicken tender. So I'm not feeling that bad about it. And I passed on the ranch dip.

So there is something that I wanted to write about during The Biggest Loser and I just didn't get a chance. It was a little hard for me to watch this year. Well not so much watch, as it was talk about and follow. I really identified with someone on the show. And that someone wasn't a fan favorite. Some people just did not like her.  It's very hard to handle when people aren't supportive of that her when I saw so much of myself in her.

You may have guessed by now that I am referring to Gina. I made no bones about it, I was supportive of her right from the beginning. And I know the criticism started early. Her interactions with Bob weren't that popular. And then she had a bad week with a bad attitude in the gym. She walked out of the gym a couple of times.

Now I am in no way trying to suggest that I know exactly what Gina was going through and what prompted her reactions and behavior...I just know that I react the same way.  Life would be grand if everyone had Jackson's attitude in the gym. Heck I would love his attitude and one day I hope to acheive it. But, not everyone is like that. In fact almost every contestant this season was resistant or reacted negatively to one of the trainers at one point. Sometimes several times.

No one wants to be reminded of how bad they have let things get. No one wants someone yelling at them in the gym. Well some might like that motivation, but the odds are that that person is not fat or ever has been. No one wants to see how little they can do because they have not cared for their body. No one wants to admit that they have failed themselves.

When Gina worked out it wasn't all sunshine and daisies coming out of her mouth...and it's the same with me. When I am pushed I have no control of what comes out of my mouth...often I sound like a dirty sailor. If I had a nickel for every time I yelled "I HATE YOU"...and that's one of the clean versions.  I will give it 110%, but my body and brain are objecting the whole time.   I don't know why, except that it's probably a defense mechanism.  So as much as I heart Bob Harper, I am pretty sure that if I were to workout with him I would unleash a web of obscenities that would make Andrew Dice Clay blush.

Week after week Gina was the Biggest Loser. Bob told her that she was the biggest threat. She didn't believe him for awhile. Then she started to believe him and believe in herself.  But, on challenges that involved speed or strength she would come in last. I feel her pain. No matter how hard I work or how far I come, someone or everyone will outperform me in a class or a race and it's hard not to feel down on myself.  But, I am not a natural athlete. I am so not coordinated. I don't have speed.  I will feel proud of myself for how far I've come, but there's always a little part of me that gets defensive and pissed that I'm not as good as everyone else.  I eventually get over it, but it really sucks at the time.

It's very easy for me to be supportive and motivating for others.  I can even be a good motivator for myself...I just need to work on letting others push me without me...kind of interesting considering the field I will be going into soon. And on that note I am off to study.


Have a Blessed Night.

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 

Comments

Popular Posts