Polar Plunge Anxiety: Bikini and FRIGID Temperatures

Hello my Lovelies and Gents,

Um...to put it bluntly, it's freaking cold outside!  Normally I wouldn't really care that much, but next weekend is the Polar Plunge.  I'm already starting to have anxiety over it and now there's more to worry about. Bah!

So you're probably asking yourself "What's the big deal Jennie?  You did this last year and you know what to expect. You signed up for it voluntarily dummy."  And you would be correct.

Before I go further, there is still time to make a pledge for the Polar Plunge. It benefits Delaware Special Olympics:

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/jennie-henderson/2013-lewes-polar-bear-plunge-for-special-olympics

Even if you don't want to do the plunge and live in the area I would encourage you to come down for any part of the weekend. I guarantee you will smile the whole time. The hearts of these Special Olympians are so big and their smiles are infectious.

Okay, so last year's Polar Plunge Festival was one of the best things that I have ever been a part of. I enjoyed every second of the weekend. It was so much fun and Oh how happy everyone was.  There was no question that I wouldn't participate this year. None whatsoever.

And so when I put the pledge requests out there saying that I would take the plunge in a bikini if I met my amount I really wasn't thinking. I was sort of using it as my motivation to push myself working out and eating right.  It was supposed to jump start 2013 for me. 

For the most part it has worked. I have seen a big difference in my body since January 1. In fact, I believe I am smaller than I was in October. YEAH!  I have been increasing the cardio intensity, the abs, the weights, and Crossfit definitely helped.

It's hard because in your head you just want to do hours of ab work and that will solve the problem. That's not how it works though. You need the cardio to burn the fat and then the ab work to tighten it up. And that is my goal. I am under no illusion that I will lose the belly completely before the plunge. The goal right now it simply to minimize the jiggle. Cause oh yeah, Dummy here wasn't thinking.  I'm not going to be laying down in this bikini and letting my friend Gravity help out. I'm going to be running to and from the ocean. *insert OH FUDGE here*.  Did we learn nothing from last year's news video debacle?

For those of you who are new to the blog, during last year's plunge we were somehow situated right behind the news camera and got caught on camera as we were running up the hill after plunging in the ocean. Baywatch it was NOT!  My bathing suit was too big and my boobs were just out of control bouncing side to side. It was not attractive! AND IT WAS ON TV!

So this year is a little different than last year. Last year I did the 5K with pal Bibble and her daughter. Then Bibble and I did the plunge together the next day. This year I am doing the 5K on my own, but I signed up to do the plunge with a gentleman from work. He has a team every year and is one of the top fundraisers for the Plunge. He told me that they will decide early on Sunday where we will all meet for the plunge and take a group picture. I sure as heck hope this is BEFORE we take off our clothes.  I can't imagine the goosebumps that are going to happen on my bare belly.

Okay so I am looking at the weather and as cold as it is now, it should warm up by early next week. That's awesome in theory, but will that be long enough to warm up the ocean water? We sort of lucked out last year. It was cold, but not as cold as it was in past years. Last year the water was actually warmer than the air, although it didn't quite feel like it. This year, I fear, will not be that way. I have a sinking feeling that it will be frigid. BAH!

Right now the 10 day forecast has Saturday at 45 degrees. That's way better than the 20's that it is today, but it's still on the downslide of a high of 58 during the middle of the week. Unfortunately, that high also comes with showers so even the fake out of a sunny day will not really warm it up. Trying not to think about the fact that my nose has been running for the last day...really hoping this is storm pressure related and once the snow storm breaks tomorrow I will be okay.

Last year the adrenaline was pumping so much that I honestly didn't feel the cold until we were walking to the car. That's when my legs started to feel the numb. We eventually showered and got on the road to head back home to Philly.  This year I have taken that Monday off so that I can enjoy the Super Bowl before heading back the next day. I hope I can get a nap in there. Oh and the plan will be to hit Crossfit Monday night when I get back :-)

The irony is that all of the fat that I have lost would help keep me warm for the plunge, but that fat in a bathing suit kept me out of signing up for many many years.

Have a Blessed Night my friends.

Don't forget my Fundraising for Autism Research:

https://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/jennifer-henderson-6/RNRUSA13


*************************************************************************
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile

I'm now on instagram: Jennie5973

Comments

Popular Posts