Heat 1 - Jennie 0

Hello kids,

The word for the day is: Hydrate!  I know I know.  You are probably tired of hearing me say that, but it is stinking hot out there.

This morning Heather and I had our 5k.  I was very proud of her for remembering to hydrate yesterday.  You can't make up for it the day of the race.

For dinner we had some nice Jennie-O turkey burgers with sliced pineapples...YUM! We had some nice protein, veggies, and Peach Bellini crystal light.  It was good...it was also girls night so we had some skinny girl peach margaritas during our movie.  Not the wisest move, but we never really get a girls night. Before we went to bed we filled our water guns and put them in the fridge to cool off.

We weren't alone last night.  For the past day there has been this fly that will not leave the apartment.  It has followed me into every room and buzzes around like it's on mountain dew and pixie sticks.  And let me tell you that when it follows you into the bathroom it's hilarious.  It starts freaking out and flying all over the place...it keeps going past the space under the door so it's not quite a smart fly.  Heather didn't believe me how bad it was until he followed her in there.  I'm still hearing the screams.

We got up early and all was well until we walked out of the front door.  It was like walking into a sauna. ICK.

When we got there the parking lot was full so we had to drive around.  We only parked an extra street away and we were practically sprinting to get into the shade.  We checked in, got our shirt, and our raffle tickets.  Then we had a quarter of a mile walk to the start line.  By the time we got there my hair was soaked.  It's going to be a long 5k.

I had charged my ipod the night before, but when we got there I realized that it was still in my pocketbook which was in the car.  Luckily I had brought my phone so I plugged in for one of my playlists.  Always have a back up plan!

The number of people there was pretty small, but it was stinkin hot.  I really hope they had a lot more people signed up who at least donated to the cause (Delaware Hospice).

So have I mentioned how hot it was?  The water guns were great for the first mile and then the water turned hot.  So we were spraying hot water to cool off...ugh.

The course changed from what they listed on the website and it included a bunch of twists and turns.  No one was surprised when the kids were cutting corners. Get yourselves to the finish line and all of that water and shade as soon as possible kids!

Heather has been walking for a walking program at work.  She wears a pedometer every day and is supposed to log her miles.  She's been doing well.  Our time for this 5k was 7 minutes better than her last.  And that was with the heat!  Her hip is still a problem and I felt bad when I would pace us and look back and see her face in pain.  But, I just wanted to get us to the finish line.  I would slow down when I saw her.  I did yell at her when I saw that she hadn't brought the bottle of water we prepared for her.  She left it in the car because she didn't want to carry it.  Put it in my bag woman!  So of course I offered to share mine. 

At one point the sweat was so bad it was dripping in my eye and made it burn so bad it felt like I had been stung by 10 bees.  I should have brought a little towel.  I will make sure I have one for the next one.

When we started the race there were a bunch of people behind us.  Only a few passed us during the race and only a few finished behind us.  It was so hot that a lot of people dropped out.  I cannot stress how HOT it was.  I was never so happy to see the finish line.  Give me a bottle of water!  Soon everyone was walking over for the refreshments and raffle.

I grabbed a chicken sandwich, a banana, and another bottle of water.  We walked over to the raffle area and chose to sit on the ground in the shade rather than in a chair in the sun.  Seriously I was sweating so much that I looked like I had bathed in baby oil.  I finished my second bottle of water in about 30 seconds and got up for more...and some extra bananas.

Of course Heather won a pair of cool Ladies running shorts in the raffle. I was mad that we didn't see the bag for the duffle bags.  I would have liked a new gym bag.  Dang it. After the raffle we walked back for some more water.  Luckily they had a lot of food left so they gave us big zip loc bags and told us to fill them up!  SWEET!  More bananas for the week. 

Afterwards we needed to stop at Target for some quick groceries. We walked around for a little bit, but it got to be too tiring.  So we quickly finished up and went to Starbucks for lunch.  Then we needed to run home and shower before Hottie got here for stretching.  Gal pal Kristin was coming over to get stretched too.  It turned into a lazy afternoon laying on the couch listening to movies and watching the Jetsons while we waited. 

Something came up and Hottie was not able to come over.  I stood up to walk the girls out and I felt like I had been hit by a mac truck.  DAMN.  This heat took everything out of me.  I feel worse than I did after the Half marathon.  And I am little miss hydration!  But, we all know that I am bordering on exhausted and this wasn't the best decision.  I'm glad we did it, but I probably won't sign up for any more in July or August...ever again.

My friend Brian is competing in his first Half Marathon tomorrow.  It's in Montana and will definitely be a little cooler.  But, I called him in a panic "I almost forgot to remind you to hydrate like crazy today!"  And then when I hung up I realized that I haven't seen the fly today...where did it go?  Ewww I don't want to find a dead fly.

I have been laying in bed for hours.  I tried to nap, but I am even too exhausted for that. This heat kicked my ass.  And honestly, I am so spent that I don't think I would have even fully enjoyed the stretch.  I know I would not have had much for him when it was time for me to push back.

Okay, well I need to go make dinner and then get ready for the race tonight...Let's Go Tony Stewart!!! Call me!  I hope I can stay awake for him.


****Please note****
  
If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you!  Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week.  The journey is so much easier if you have support.


jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts