Beach + Sunburn = Ice Cream


Happy Sunday Bleeps!

So I wasn't planning on taking yesterday off, but I was just enjoying and relaxing too much.  And you know I was watching me some Olympics.

Did you watch the Opening Ceremony?  If you did, you know that the parade of nations was pretty fast.  It still takes a long time, but they were moving.  Lots of commentators talking about it.  Did you hear the music?  That's why I stress the importance of a good playlist.  That music had a beat.  Of course it's going to make them walk faster.  Plus there were all of those drums.  Which I loved and OMG can we talk about those poor people's arms?  That was a long time to be drumming.  Great workout!

Anyway, Saturday morning I got up and headed over to the fitness center. You know the one that overlooks the pool.  This time I got there long before the pool opened so I just got to watch the guy cleaning the pool while I was on the treadmill.  My sister and brother-in-law beat me there and we had the place to ourselves for a while.  I jumped on the treadmill and did a quick warm up.  I wanted to run, but I hadn't run since I had been sick and I don't really like these treadmills to run on.  They are fine, but when I am on a hill I feel wobbly so I don't feel too confident.  I ran for 15 minutes and then I got off.  I had wanted to be on for an hour, but my mind was all over the place.  I wanted to do some upper body weights and I wanted to try my plank there.  Could I beat 3 minutes? 

I got down on the floor and started...I didn't make it past 1 minute. Dang it. But there was a reason.  That carpet HURT.  I actually had rug burn on my arms for a day and I wasn't really moving around.  Alas, I was beat by the carpet so I moved over to weights.  I did some back and then some arms/shoulders.  By then they had left and I was on my own.  I put the Olympics.  It was Men's Road Race Cycling. My first thought was "Oh great....boring".  OH how wrong I was.  By the time I started watching these men had been riding for four hours and forty-five minutes.  And they still had 40 miles to go.  WHAT?  This event is 155 miles. Well that's one way to start off with a bang.

I could not look away.  I was glued to the tv.  So I jumped on the treadmill and decided to stay on until they finished.  I saw one group leader wipe out, but I missed the "Big One", to steal from Nascar.  It looked like it took out about 30 cyclists.   I just looked up the results and 133 started the race and only a hand full did not finish.  That's because these guys get back up on the bike and the medics drive next to them hanging out of the car windows working on them.  Now THAT is dedication.  Now I have no desire to compete in anything like that (the crowds of cyclists running together makes me nauseous), but I have a new found respect for them.

So I stayed on and got my hour on the treadmill and then it was time to get ready for the pool.  That meant the bikini.  This is now the third time I have worn it and I still had a white belly.  This is such an odd summer for me.  By now I would be a lovely golden brown, but this year is just a bit busy for me. 

There was a little stress involved this time.  I don't like to wear it after working out.  I am a little swollen with the water I inhale when I workout.  The last time I wore it after a workout it was a light workout.  This one was rough.  The humidity found it's way into the fitness center and I was sweating after 30 seconds.  I filled my water bottle 4 times.  And I barely peed after.  It was HOT.  So I have the swollen belly from the workout, plus I was bloated for that time of the month...bah! 

And then there was the stress of laying out next to my sister.  I love her, but she's always been the skinny one. It's hard to really enjoy the pool experience your whole life when you are hiding your one-piece under a big baggy shirt and your sister is looking perfect in a bikini.  But, I did it.  I took off my cover-up and basked in the sun.  I even got up and went in the pool for a little bit to cool off.  Now, I am still not brave enough to sit up in the bikini.  So when I was sitting in the chair under the umbrella I was wrapped in my big towel.

Once again my face, chest and arms got all red (but I think that was really from hanging at the edge of the pool reading). The belly got slightly pink, but I was optimistic.  I wore a different bikini top so I could go strapless. This meant that my strap marks from the other top got pink.  So I opted to skip the gym today.  I did not want a bra rubbing up and down on it and getting sweaty.  I had horrible visions of what could happen.  So I went to church and decided to see how it was outside. If it wasn't horribly muggy I would go back to the pool for a little while before heading home.  It was nice.  So off I went.

It was nice, but DANG it was hot again. I could not lay there comfortably.  I was spraying myself with my water bottle like crazy.  I got my hour laying on my back in.  The plan was for an hour on my belly and then I would go get ready to leave.  I got 30 minutes in and then my brother-in-law brought us lunch.  As we were eating the thunder started. So we quickly packed up and headed home. The good news: My belly is even pinker!  It may be tan by 2014!  I'm so optimistic!

Alright, so let's discuss the food.  Generally we go to Ms. Cheryl's on Fridays, but she had family in town so we were on our own.  BBQ chicken and ribs. Yum!  I had a nice medium size piece of chicken and 2 ribs.  There was also a salad.

Now as you may remember from my last post, I was craving ice cream during the Opening Ceremony.  I went out to the freezer in the garage and found Klondike pops...hello.  I got one out and started to eat it when I realized that the freezer had not been fully closed and it was partially melted. Dang it.

Well you know what my favorite sandwiches are....so yes, I had a bologna and cheese sandwich for lunch on Saturday.  I had it with some mustard on whole wheat. We had the neighbors over for dinner.  We had grilled chicken, steak, stuffed cabbage, big giant Dana salad and left over BBQ.  I had some of Dana's wonderful salad (remember she made the awesome anti-pasta platter last time).  Then I had a small piece of chicken, two slices of the steak, and a stuffed cabbage.  For dessert I had a dark chocolate magnum ice cream pop....oh yeah.

Today I had another bologna sandwich before the pool and then Brother-in-Law Mark brought over burgers.  But, not just your regular burger...these puppies had jalapeno peppers in them. Sinuses cleared!  I had one burger and then a bowl of ice cream before I left.  Dang it.  I cannot control myself around ice cream!  Seriously, it is my biggest weakness.  Especially at the beach and when I have a little sunburn.  It's an association I have always had.  It's almost like Pavlov's dog.  Beach+sunburn=ice cream.  I won't get too angry though because the pops were small.  While I didn't eat as well as I would have liked, I kept it to portions and didn't snack on the chips and doritos. Small victory.

Okay kids, I have a rough week ahead of me.  Miss Kerri is out of the office until Thursday taking her comps for her Masters Degree (Sending her a big hug and shout out because she has been studying hard for this!) and that means I have to cover both of us for three days. So I'm going to sign off and enjoy some more Olympic moments before going to sleep.

OH and in case you were wondering, I did get to study a little.  Not quite as much as I would have liked.  My goal was to finish the Anatomy chapter, but I made a lot of headway.  I thoroughly enjoyed my time on joints.  I spent a lot of time moving my elbows, shoulders, knees, and ankles just fascinated beyond belief.  haha.

Have a lovely night and I will catch you tomorrow.

**************************************************************************
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: @hugsnsmile

Comments

Popular Posts