Fitness Competition Final Assessment

*Breaking News*

THE FITNESS COMPETITION ASSESSMENT IS DONE!  HOLLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We still need to wait for everyone to have theirs so we may not have results for a while, but it is done for me and that's all that matters right now.

Ms. Barb and I were signed up for the first group, along with my teammate Michel.  I'm so glad he was there because I was thinking later that a good team would try to do it together and encourage each other.  Also in our group was FCANR (Fitness Competition Arch Nemesis Ryan)....grrrr.  Coming after you my friend!

We started with the resting heart rate.  Honestly, when I first took it it was higher than last time.  But, I was also a bit excited to get started so I took some deep breaths and it got back down to normal. YEAH!

Time to get started.  Ms Barb and I went to the scale first...booooo.  This is what I've been dreading.  I know that I have gotten smaller, but I also know that my muscles have increased and muscles weigh more than fat.  I was up a pound.  That's not too bad.  And in all honesty, I will pee that out by bed time.  Ms Barb lost a pound so maybe she gave me hers.  Also, this scale was different than the one we initially weighed in on. And if you'll remember that day I had weighed in an hour before for the biometrics test and there was a 3lb difference.  I can let this one go.

Next up: Sit and Reach.  I kind of knew I wouldn't be as flexible as last time.  Last time I had a 19 and that was a 99%.  I had yoga for 10 weeks before that and I have been all about the weights for the past 4 months.  Technically I had 19 again, but Ms. Barb yelled and said that I bent my knees and that didn't count.  So I went down to a 17.  Although I probably bent my knees for the first assessment.  I probably stayed the same, but it's counting against me this time...hmm...my first 2 stations are worse than the first assessment...CRAP.

But, that's where it ended.  Next up was Push-ups.  For the first assessment I tapped out at 30.  We get a point for every rep over with a max of 15.  I pushed it for 48.  I could have done more, but I didn't want to tire out for the other reps.  I was pretty proud.  I did push-ups in boot camp and I had been using my push-up bars, but it's been a while.  I figured I would be okay because of all of the chest presses I have done.  I will say that my boobs HURT after.  I had to give myself an extra minute before the next station.

Next up was my plank.  I held it for 91 seconds the first time...now you know my struggles at the gym with this.  But, for those of you who are new to the blog...I tried this at the gym the day after the initial assessment and was stuck at 30 seconds and it was killing me.  I couldn't figure it out.  Was is the floor?  Was it the mat? Was is the time of day?  What the heck!  And then one magical day weeks later I hit the same time and gradually increased it.  Well today I plugged in my ipod to "I'm Sexy and I Know It" and held it for 3:01.  YEAH!  Could have gone longer, but I still had my squats.  You get a point for every 5 seconds over....I maxed out.  GO ME!  For the record, I will be doing this on my own next week and timing it to see just how far I can go.  The max is 4 minutes.  I want that!

And then I was on to squats....it was a little different this time. Last time we had collar weights.  The girls used 20lb weights around their neck and the boys used 30lbs.  Beasts like FCANR were to double up and do 50lbs.  I was in awe.  Well they broke so we had weight balls.  But, these were 10 and 20lbs.  If you used the 10 you should be doing jumps squats.  I grabbed the 20lb and went to town.  I had busted up my knees before the initial assessment and they hurt at 40 so I stopped.  So I made sure I rested last night and I was going to kill it.  My favorite part was when Alex, the instructor, came over and said "Oh we're going to be here all day with this one." That's right..I could have gone all day....but I stopped at 62.  I maxed out and I still had a workout scheduled for tonight and a long run scheduled for tomorrow.  No need to damage the knees.

So the room was full of girls with a few boys (FCANR, teammate Michel, and Alex).  While I was working my squats FCANR was almost done his assessment and asked Alex very loudly "Alex can you come pinch me." Yeah, the room errupted in giggles...haha.

After squats Ms. Barb and I headed over to get pinched ourselves.  First up: The arms.  I was eager, but the pinch was the same as before. Dang it.  Next up was waist: it went down 3.  Three what I have no idea, but it went down!  And then it was the legs: down 3.  YEAH!  I think I may have been the first woman in history to eagerly ask "Are you going to measure our waists now?????"   I had a right to be excited.  I lost 2.75 inches in the waist and an inch on the hips. YEAH!

I am happy to report that Ms. Barb increased in each area.  She was impressed with herself.  I told her that she at least earned 26points and she was so excited.  See!  She was going to skip.  We were talking about it and she said "I really pushed myself!".  I had tears in my eyes.  I was so proud.

When we were changing back into our work clothes I had to bust out the baby wipes.  Man I sweated in just that 15 minutes.

So tonight I met gym buddy Lisa at the other gym for upper body and abs.  We really like this gym and it has some really good machines that the usual one doesn't have.  I love working out with her.  In preparation of my certification she lets me explain the machines and which muscles you work.  She asked me what I am learning from my study guide and even let me lead her in stretching. YEAH!  She asked if I wanted to go out for a drink to celebrate, but we decided to go to Saladworks for dinner instead (I am hitting NYC on Saturday so it's a safe bet that is my cheat day).

I have no idea how the body metrics are factored in to our numbers for the assessment.  I don't know how the rest of my team did (Michel says he improved on everything but the squats).  I don't know how the other teams did.  I wanted to win this so bad.  Sure I would love to be able to get new sneakers for the race with my winnings, but the truth is I already won :-)

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.


jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts