Mother's Day BBQ....YUM


Happy Mother's Day!

I hope you are all enjoying a lovely Mother's Day.  I am :-)  I have to get on the road in a little bit, but before I do I thought I would tell you about my day.

First of all, I did get up early and went to the Fitness center.  I got on the treadmill with my book.  The book is a good incentive not to run.  I'm trying to be sensible about my knee right now.  Let me just say that the fitness center used to have the treadmills facing a big giant mirror.  That was painful back in the "fat" days.  And was pretty much incentive not to go.  Now it's a beige wall.  Not so bad as long as you can see the tv.  Well I don't know what happened, but the three treadmills and two ellipticals are now pressed right up against the wall.    So you have to look directly up to see the tv.  If I tried to run and only had that wall to look at it would make me nauseous.  There is no "distance" point to focus on.

I was trying to decide between a full hour or cutting off a little early and doing some weights.  Tomorrow is a cardio only day so I decided to walk for 45 then hit the weights for 15.  I worked on my back  Then it was time to run back and shower before church.

After church I ran back to the house to load up and head over to my Aunt's.  Every year my cousins prepare a Mother's Day BBQ.  I am very thankful to be a part of this :-)  Yesterday we were told to "come hungry".   Appetizers start at 1 and dinner at 3.  You don't have to tell me twice!

When we walked in there were bowls of salsa and homemade guacamole (OH HELLO!).  There was also come bread with dipping oil and cut cucumbers.  I munched for a little bit, but then I had some work to do.

I had plans to wash my car in the driveway.  It was covered in pollen and sap.  It's not a bad way to spend a beautiful afternoon.  I came in starving when I was done and munched a little more, but then I had to get my mom's keys.  I usually wash her car as a bonus Mother's Day present.  This year it just happened to serve two purposes.  It kept me from eating until I popped.

Oh let it be told that I was brought out a frozen margarita while I was washing the cars....and yes, they still got clean.  HaHa.

When I came in after the second car was done, the bacon wrapped asparagus was on the table.  This is a crowd favorite...although it also instigates the 'asparagus pee' conversation.  I limited myself to two, but oh yeah it was good.

So what was on the menu?  Kabobs!  Chicken and shrimp kabobs with assorted veggies and fruit.  There was peaches and oranges in the kabobs.  Dang good I say!  We also had a tomato and mozzarella salad and a large bowl of fruit salad.  Oh I almost forgot the steak.  It was healthy and delicious!  And I am full!  And Bonus- I have a container for lunch for tomorrow.  HOLLA!

But not too full for the dessert.  It was a very small serving, but I wanted to lick my plate.  What is this delicious treat you ask?  It was sopapilla.  It was fried pastry with cream cheese and strawberries.  With some vanilla ice cream on top. There was lots of oohhing and ahhing.

A big shout out to cousin Randy who was the master chef.  It was awesome, delicious, and healthy (well except for the sopapilla).  It really truly is one of my favorite days of the year.  I enjoy the time with the family, but I love love LOVE the food!  I can handle the one serving of dessert because of the size and because the rest of the food was happy food.

In case you were wondering, I did not go to Starbucks today.  :-)

Okay, I need to get ready for the road trip back. It's pretty safe to say that I won't be hungry for the ride :-)  I am a full and happy girl.

****Please note****
  

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you!  Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week.  The journey is so much easier if you have support.

 jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts