Memorial Day Weekend: 5K and Graduation Party

Happy Memorial Day Bleeps!

Did you have a good holiday weekend?  I did. It was wonderful.  It was another family filled weekend.  I'll be honest, I love them dearly, but they exhaust me.  haha.

I was trying to go to bed after my last post.  I had a 5k in the morning and I needed to leave early because I was further away than if I had slept at home.  I was sleeping at grandma's.  Since I had signed up for the 5k on a Sunday morning I had arranged to go to church (I don't go to catholic church anymore and the kneeling just about killed me) on Saturday night with Grandma and just sleep there since I would be there again the next day.

It was a good plan.  But, just as I was ready to go to sleep we had a family invasion.  My Aunt, Uncle, and cousins stopped in to say hi on their way to my Uncle's to sleep over.  The good news is that my Uncle was able to put in the air conditioning units.  The bad news is that I could not go to bed as I was sleeping on the couch.  I loved seeing them, but I needed sleep.

I finally fell asleep around 1am and I needed to leave in 6 hours.  It was very hard to get up, but I had to get ready and get on the road.  Luckily I got there early so I could just walk around and relax...and hopefully wake up.  It was beautiful. Nice and cool.

Happily I love the t-shirt I got. It's a cute lime green shirt with "Got Time?" in navy blue.  I had already chosen a lime green shirt for the day so I didn't change, but I cannot wait to wear it.  And on that note, I like to choose races that are fun and or support a really good cause.  I will try to talk up the causes as much as I can.  When I signed up for this race it was because I needed one more for the fitness competition and I liked this course.  The description was "For a Better Delaware"...um okay.  When I got there I realized what it was.  It's was benefiting Youth Volunteering in Delaware. YEAH!  Good cause!  Most of the volunteers at the race were teenagers.  I was happy to be a part of the day.

Okay, so before I even got there I had been having a pain in my leg just below my good knee.  Argh.  I had also worked out hard the day before.  More importantly I have two more weeks of boot camp so the rule was no running until boot camp is over. 

I am so bad at following my rules.  I took off running. I paced myself behind these two ladies and was with them for the first mile.  I was making great time. 12 minutes. Then I hit the concrete.  I don't always listen to the rules regarding my knees.  I sometimes abuse them more than I should.  But, this one I don't mess with.  My old track coach told me that I should never run on sidewalks.  It's the worst for your knees.  Especially my knees. 

So I dropped off and walked.  I'm okay with it though because that was the part along the water and it was pretty.  It was also stinkin hot. STINKIN hot.  It was like they flipped a switch when at the start of the race.  It went from nice and cool to a sauna in 5 minutes.  I was dying for some water and at the halfway point I saw relief.  I got my cup of water and then I saw them...the young boys with the massive water guns.  I'm sorry, I meant the extremely enthusiastic boys pleading me with their eyes to let them shoot me.

I stopped and spread my arms wide open.  "Have at it boys!" They went nuts and I got soaked.  Good thing I didn't wear the white t-shirt I had originally planned on. haha.

The water felt so good, but it also made me stupid.  Because I started to break my second rule.  Never run after a break from running.  I cannot run, walk, and then run again.  I have to finish running or I don't run at all.  But, I wanted a good time.  So I started running on the last mile.  And my knees let me have it.  They immediately seized and I was forced to walk.  And at a slower pace.  Damn it!

I finished 3 minutes under my best time so it was a good day.  However, it was so stinkin hot that I sat under a tree for an hour before I attempted to get in my car and go back to grandmas.  Oh, I did have my refreshments.  I sucked down several bottles of water, had half of a banana, a small cup of water ice, and half of a bagel.  I passed on the pizza.  The idea of the grease made me nauseous.  Besides, grandma was going to have pasta and chicken for me when I got back for lunch.

I called the house while I was halfway there to make sure that the shower was free.  I was disgusting.  In my head the plan was to shower, eat, and then nap a little.  Hahaha...seriously, when was my last nap?  It's always the plan, but it never happens.

Instead of napping I opted to kidnap two of my cousins and go to Starbucks.  I don't get to see them often and they are growing up.  I needed a sugar boost or I would never make it through the rest of the day.  So I picked up Keeley and Hannah and took them for frappacinos.  My Mocha Coconut is back!  And yes, I got the Light version. We had a couple of hours to kill before going to another cousin's graduation party.  So we went back to grandma's to help her get ready. 

Now my leg was fine during the 5k, but it started to hurt again.  And in addition I had a strange pain in my foot.  It felt like the strap of my flip flop was too tight on the inside of the foot.  The only problem is that I wasn't wearing shoes. Argh.  I have a heavy step.  I walk hard, I must have done something running. I got a foot massage and it was heaven.  It didn't stop the pain, but it relaxed my muscles (I iced it after the party and it's been fine today...yeah!).

I love my family. I love my cousins.  They are the sweetest cutest most darling girls that you want to hate because they are so beautiful, but they are the best so you can't.  But, it's hard to be around them without feeling ginormous.

Hannah wants to go to the beach with me for the day.  She wants us to wear bikinis and hang so she can check out boys.  My first reaction: no one would give me a second look standing next to her.  She's 16 and looks like a neutrogena ad 24/7.  I would do anything for her though so if that's what she wants, we can go.  I may throw up at the thought, but I will do it.

So we get to the party and the first thing we want to do is find the food.  I was starving.  There was a taco bar and hot turkey sandwiches.  I made two small tacos heavy on the guacamole and salsa.  Then I added a small turkey sandwich.  I was STARVING. 

The key was to take the plates and sit away from the food. I never went back for seconds. But, I did hit the desserts. Newly married cousin Kim brought freshly made rice krispie treats.  GIMME!  I had a piece.  Later my aunt was walking around with trays of ice cream sandwiches (vanilla ice cream between two chocolate chip cookies).  Well it was hot!  So I had one.  Besides, they were small.  I went back later for another rice crispy treat.  And then another tray of ice cream sandwiches came by so I took another.

I'm not proud.  I know I had the frappacino earlier in the day.  I also had the water ice at the race. Desserts are my weakness.  I could have done much worse though and I have in the past.  I made sure that I would not be sitting around the bowls of M&Ms or the food.  That is half the battle.

I have been recovering from the weekend all day today.  I was too beat to go to the gym.  My back up plan was to do a yoga dvd when I got home, but that didn't happen.  I have been away every weekend this month so tonight was full of much needed cleaning and laundry.  I can't be upset with myself though.  I got in big workouts Friday, Saturday, and Sunday this weekend.  That's something to be proud of.

Well it's been a long weekend and I need to get to bed.  Boot camp is tomorrow and I need my sleep.  But, before I go let me give a shout out to cousin Michaela!  It was her graduation party and she is just the best! She's another of the tall skinny beautiful cousins that you are jealous of, but can't hate because they are so sweet.  Love ya Mic!  Congratulations graduate!

****Please note****
  

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you!  Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week.  The journey is so much easier if you have support.


jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts