Breakfast: the most important meal of the day

Hello my Lovelies and Gents,

Have you ever heard: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day?  Well it's true. However, I did not believe that for over 30 years.

I used to be the worst breakfast eater on the planet. The WORST.  When I was younger, if the cereal wasn't pure sugar then I was not interested in eating it.  Lucky Charms were my favorite.    Followed by Golden Grahams, Fruity Pebbles, Apple Jacks, Corn pops, Frosted Flakes, Fruit Loops...you get the idea.

I would even sweeten up some cereals with more sugar.  Rice Crispies and Raisin Bran were even better with one or two spoonfuls of sugar on top.  Cheerios?  haha.  The ONLY way I was eating that was if it was immersed in sugar.

I did not like to finish the milk.  If there was more than a few spoonfuls left, I would dump more cereal in there.  The only way I would drink the milk was if it was Cocoa Pebbles or Count Chocula and it had turned into chocolate milk.  Now that's good stuff!

These were my "healthy" breakfasts.  My favorite breakfasts were the Saturday morning specials: cold pizza and doritos.

There were many years when I didn't seem to believe in breakfast.  I still haven't figured out how that happened.  How the heck did I go months without eating breakfast?  Was it the "skipping a meal to save the calories" theory?  I honestly do not know.  I was so dumb.  You don't "skip" anything.  It only makes you hungrier later. I was only hurting myself.

Then there were the years that I alternated between pancakes, bagels smothered in cream cheese, and soft pretzels for breakfast.  Oh yeah, I was healthy.  On an exciting day I would splurge for a loaded omlet (cheese and ham).  Don't forget the sides of bacon and hash browns.

I cringe when I see commercials for sugary cereals or when I walk through the aisle at the grocery store.  I can't stand to think of kids starting their day off that way.  Or with a pop tart.  That makes me sick. There is nothing nutritional in a pop tart. You might as well start your day with a shot of pixie sticks.  Wonder why kids are so crazy with energy?  Take a look at their breakfast.

These days breakfast is my FAVORITE meal.  I can't wait to start my day off right.  If it's a week day then I am eating multigrain cheerios/peanut butter cheerios/special K/raisin bran with skim milk.  My how times have changed.  And no, there is no sugar smothering my cereal.  I keep a bowl at work and bring my cereal there.  We have milk in the vending machine so it makes it easy.

On weekends I have protein bars and a banana.  I try to get out for breakfast one of those days too.  I am all over egg white sandwiches.  Mmm..I want one now!  I love breakfast for any meal now.  Last year the ladies in my family went to a PJ Brunch.  We went to a restaurant that welcomed people in their pajamas for breakfast.  GENIUS!  Sadly, I learned that they closed recently and I almost cried.  If you know of any place that does it please let me know.  I will be there!

If you are unsure where to start on your journey, then start at the beginning.   

**************************************************************************
Check out my Facebook Page for  Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: @hugsnsmile

Comments

Popular Posts