Monday, August 19, 2013

My Weekend: 3 days, 650 miles, and lots of smiles

Happy Monday Bleeps!

Wow, it was a long long weekend. Lots of good though.

Friday morning I got on the road early to head up to see Ms. Carol and her girls (and hubby too). I opted to make a stop at Target for a few travel items on my way. I remembered that they have superhero underwear that I like and I have been looking out for the SuperGirl underwear in my size so I made a beeline for that area. "May I help you find something?"..."Nope, I am just looking for some SuperGirl panties."...yep, that really happened. They have them and they are in my size so I grab them and head over to the next area on my list. The only problem is that the store is empty besides me and a whole bunch of Senior Citizen men. So there I am running around the store holding a pair of SuperGirl panties giving thrills to Old Men...good thing I am CPR certified!  hahaha.  True Story.

It's a long drive and it was a gorgeous day. The kind of day that makes you want to roll down the windows and blast the music. And so I did. I put on my Running playlist and sang with the wind blowing through my hair. It was a good stress relief for 3+ hours.

I did have to stop to use the ladies room a couple of times. Good hydration!  The first time was at a rest stop. But, the second time was in an area full of gas stations and fast food places. I am not comfortable in gas station bathrooms. Just not. Don't even try to talk me into it. And I am not the kind of person that will use a restaurant's bathroom without buying something. There is a Starbucks, but they do not have a's very depressing. And so I stopped at Moe's. Welcome to Moe's!  I did not get any chips and guacamole or anything. I decided to just get a drink. A sweet tea. I used to get a sweet tea several times a week. Now I get it ever 3 months. So I'll allow it.

When I arrived at my destination,  a baby (Miss Sophia), with the biggest cheeks in the world, was handed to me while Ms. Carol went upstairs to get little Miss Olivia up from her nap. Now I have not seen Miss Olivia since she was 6 weeks old and was told that she is shy and takes a little while to warm up to new people. They must have been talking about another child, because Aunt Jennie and Miss Olivia were the bestest of friends within minutes.

We started the day by going outside for a picnic. We had quesadillas and strawberries with whipped cream. And as a treat, we all got a mint oreo cookie. Did we all eat them the same way? You bet! Pull off the top cookie and lick the cream off. See, told you we were BFFs!

We put Miss Sophia down for a nap and went outside for a little while to play with bubbles and run around the Mulberry bush. Well it's not really a Mulberry bush, but we pretended. My little girlfriend wanted a treat...and well Aunt Jennie was there and we had a late we decided to go get ice cream before we went to the park. I got a Salted Caramel Truffle cup (O.M.G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and Ms. Carol and Miss Olivia split a black and white milkshake. Miss Sophia was pretty much a hostage. Poor thing. I did get the privilege of carrying her in her car seat on our excursion to give Ms. Carol a break. It was a nice arms workout.

All day Miss Olivia was waiting patiently for us to go to the park and go down the slides. And so we went. I pushed the girls in their double stroller up the hill, another nice workout.

Okay so there is a playground right as you walk in the gate, and another one down a steep hill. I almost died when we were going down the steep one. I mean with a stroller?  We let Miss Olivia out so that she could walk down the hill. Oh boy that was a fun walk.

That little playground didn't really hold her attention for long. It only has one small slide. The other one back up the hill has 4 slides to choose from. So soon we were going back up the hill. I was behind my BFF and I could hear her little voice "I won't fall. I won't fall." so cute!

One of the slides was wide and had rollers on it. Little kids seem to go down slowly. Adults shoot down like a bullet...I found that out the hard way. felt like it pinched my butt the whole time. *Note to Self: Check butt for bruises*  I was NOT a fan.  But, she giggled so I went down several times. And then there was the twisty tube slide. The Former Fat Girl froze.  "What if I don't fit?" or worse "What if I get stuck half way?" I mean TERRIFIED!  The Former Fat Girl would never ever have tried it. But, I did. It wasn't bad until the second turn that pretty much shoots you down vertically and out.

Needless to say, Ms. Carol was laughing the whole time.

So we came home and did some reading and got ready for bed.  We also had some dinner. We made the pizza because it was easy and we were tired. At first we only put one slice on our plates, but man we were hungrier than we thought. So we each had a second slice. Of course we weren't feeling well after, but live and learn.

I fell asleep right away and got up early to spend some time with Miss Olivia before I had to leave.

The plan for Friday originally was to go to the gym and shower before getting on the road, but as time got closer I just panicked about how much room we had in my car for the girls' luggage so I nixed that idea. Of course that also meant I forgot to pack a sportsbra. I wanted to go for a run and even found out there was a 5K on Saturday morning, but I couldn't do it. Besides, I was very active with Miss Olivia and that time was precious. Next time I will bring the hula hoop!

We danced a little and went upstairs and played the drums. She made it very hard to leave. I cried. I need to go back soon. I miss them already!  Miss Sophia is adorable too, but I wasn't quite as active with her.

Okay so now I am on the road heading to Newark Airport. If you will recall the plan was to get there early and study. Well that was before I had map difficulties. I didn't actually print the map I thought I did.  And I had a new phone with a new GPS...let's just say that I took a 20 mile detour and leave it at that.

The girls landed and I was 40 minutes away, but they still had to go through customs and baggage claim. I wasn't worried. I got there, parked, and ran my butt in to use the ladies room and then find them. Parking was outrageous. My goal was to get them in the car and out of the parking lot within 30 minutes. I did it in 28!  Only $4 parking. WOO WOO.  Now get me outta here!

The problem is that we were hungry and my hips and knees were really sore from driving. I had seen that there was a mall 15 minutes away so I took us there. They should have a food court and we could all walk around a little. Well no food court, but there was a Q'doba. So we went there. I got my naked grilled veggie burrito and a child size quesadilla with chicken.  Then we walked over to Starbucks. Jennie was TIRED. I wanted my Peach Iced Green Tea with Lemonade...but they were out of Peach. I just got a Green tea.

Oh yeah, so one of the first things that the girls saw when they got back to the States was a horse's butt...not kidding.

So we got back in the car and headed home. Finally...oh but, first I scored a sweet pair of aviator glasses. COOL.

One of the reasons why I agreed to pick up these lovely ladies is because I was promised the best meal ever. Their grandfather is a chef and he would feed me. I was not disappointed. The menu: stuffed cabbage and ratatouille.  I was asking about the ratatouille and how to make it. I asked if I could use a crockpot and was scolded. It is a labor of love. You have to put the time in it for the quality...another post idea there for another day. Anyway, Mr. Henry asked if I have Julia Child's Mastering The Art of French Cooking. I don't, but mom does.  He said her recipe is second to his, but it'll do. haha. I'm sold. It was sooooo yummy. And I asked about freezing it. He said not to freeze, but that it will hold in the fridge for 2 weeks. Good enough for me.

I called mom and she thinks my Aunt Sarah has her cookbook, so Aunt Sarah I'll be checking in with you to see if I can use it :-) OR we could make it together! (I'm really not that good of a cook haha).

Dinner was followed with a bowl of fresh fruit and some chocolate treats brought back from Lithuania.  I'm not sure what they were, but they were good. It was a chocolate coating over some strange marshmallow/meringue type filling in the middle.

When dinner was over I went to study. Cause that's how I roll these days.

In the morning I got up early and left before 8am. I made a quick stop at Dunkin Donuts for a coffee coolatta (but was too tired to remember to ask for skim...but I did only get a small with no whip cream) and then I as on a mission to get home and make it to the 10:45 church service. I did it!  With 5 minutes to spare. I even had time to use the ladies room. YEAH!

After church I moved to Starbucks for studying. I had a hard time there. My hips were killing me. Seriously, all of this sitting hurts. The bonus of the day was that Grandmom invited me over for dinner. Chicken, broccoli, mashed cauliflower, and corn on the cob. Um...Yes please!  I joked that she was competing with Mr. Henry for my love. haha. Keep fighting peeps!  I'm more than happy to do the eating!

Okay Bleeps, I hope you enjoyed my tales and pix from the weekend. It's study time and so I must bid you adieu. Jennie's Taxi service has retired for the time being.

I signed up with Run for Autism again :-)

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

No comments:

Post a Comment