Sneak Eating in a book: funny or not funny

Hello My Lovelies and Gents,

Okay, so I'm still a few posts behind.  I still need to write about last Sunday, my Fitness Challenge results, and there's some stuff from Church that I would like to talk about. But, today I am going to talk about a book that I just finished reading.

I heart Fannie Flagg. She wrote Fried Green Tomatoes and a bunch of other novels that I adore. This woman gives life to the most interesting characters. I especially love when they pop up in more than one novel.

Well my beach/treadmill book for the past month was I Still Dream About You.  It did not disappoint.  This book featured a whole new cast of characters. One of the main characters is Brenda. Brenda is a Black woman born and raised in Birmingham, Alabama.  She did move to Chicago to teach for a while, but found her way back to Birmingham.  When we meet Brenda she is either in her 50's or early 60's. She is overweight and lives with her younger sister who is a nurse.

One of the first things we learn about Brenda is that she goes to Overeaters Anonymous meetings.  Her sister cares about her health, but is a tad harsh with her approach to her.

One of the early stories she tells cracked me up...it also made me sad...because I could totally relate. Not to the extent of the story, but the intentions behind it. Brenda's sister keeps Ice Cream in the freezer. Not flavors that are in season (although I don't get that because as far as I know Mint Chocolate Chip is ALWAYS in season). Anyway, Brenda starts to sneak some and then soon she realizes she ate too much. Her sister is going to know.  She'll be home from work soon so Brenda will have to run out to get a new carton. Although she can't just go to the store around the corner in case someone recognizes her so she runs across town. The first store doesn't have it so she goes to a second store.   Stressed out after she makes her purchase she stops next store to the grocery store. The Frozen Yogurt place is still open. So she waits in line for a treat before heading home.
When she is pulling into the the driveway she sees her sister's car in the driveway. CRUD!  So she puts the carton in her pocketbook hoping to sneak it into the freezer later.  You can probably guess that she forgets to do that. The ice cream melts and ruins her bag.

I've never had a carton of ice cream melt in my pocketbook, but I sure as heck have made that run to the store to replace food that I was sneak eating. The shame is unbearable.

This actually the second ice cream story that we get from Brenda. The first one happened after a particularly stressful day. She stopped for an ice cream sundae on her way home and a would be purse snatcher tried to take her bag. Brenda didn't let him and instead whaled on him with her sundae. It ended up in the paper and Brenda was mortified that they printed her name. Now her sister and Weight Watcher sponsor knew she cheated.

Later in the book she tells the main character that she is not going to stick to her diet. It's just making her miserable. The response: As long as you are healthy, what does it matter how much you weight?

That upset me. So many people who are overweight think they are healthy. The Former Fat Girl included. My numbers now are fine, but I can't even fathom what they were before I started watching what I eat and working out. I was NOT healthy.  So where does this idea come from?  As long as you aren't hooked up to a monitor that's all that matters?  As long as you aren't dead, that's all that matters?  Um...that's not all that matters. What matters is that you take care of yourself. You're the only one responsible for you.  No matter how hard that is.  I can talk to people until I am blue in the face, but at the end of the day they are responsible for themselves not me.

There was another "cheating" incident later when Brenda stopped to pick up donuts because she was upset. She bought a dozen to go and two to eat there. Luckily her Overeaters Anonymous Sponsor showed up and pulled her out of the store before she ate anything. Someone spotted her car in the parking lot and called her sponsor.

It's not surprising that towards the end of the book there is a heart attack scare. Of course it happens while she is at a Kate Spade pocketbook sale and she holds off seeking medical care because she wants her bags.

All of Brenda's eating was stress related. Sound familiar?  At times her actions made me giggle, but in the end the Former Fat Girl just identified too much and did not see the humor any more. At the time, the situation might be funny, but the reasons behind them just aren't.

My next book is a knitting murder mystery. haha.

PS. HAPPY SHARK WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a Blessed Night.

I signed up with Run for Autism again :-)

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/jennifer-henderson-6/RNRPhilly13


****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts