Why do I feel the need to justify Rest Days? I have earned them!

Happy Monday Bleeps!

Today was supposed to be a distance day for me. Although, I didn't  exactly rest yesterday. I was still planning on it. And then last night I felt extremely tired while watching football. My throat started to feel scratchy. My adrenaline was wearing off. This morning I woke up and my throat was super uber scratchy.

I had an appointment this morning. I was still planning on a decent run in the afternoon. The appointment ran long. I should have a call this evening and I had some work to do. I made the call to make it a rest day. My throat hasn't felt bad since this morning so I am hoping my rest was all I needed.

A scratchy throat for me is usually my body's indication that if I don't slow down I am about to get sick. Rest is a good thing. I push my body every day. It's important for me to listen to it. And it's important for me to know the difference between my body talking to me and the Former Fat Girl trying to get her way. There is a BIG distinction.

Sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing between the two. I should have rested more when my foot problem started. It wouldn't have lasted as long as it did. I get scared. I get scared that it's not my body talking and it's the Former Fat Girl trying to get in my head. I know better though. I know when it's my body. It's just hard to give in to it.

I wanted a run tonight bad. But, we are 3 months away. I can't risk losing a week or two to being sick.

The hard part is that I feel like I have to justify this to myself. I shouldn't have to do that. But, that's the history I have. I always justified my life of "rest days". I justified why I wasn't doing anything. I could rationalize anything. There was no excuse that was too lame for me.

It's too late.

I just ate.

I haven't eaten yet.

I didn't get enough sleep.

I just did yoga last month.

My knee hurts.

I have my period.

I wore purple today.

It's raining.

I am too stressed.

I can't concentrate.

Sex and the City is about to come on.

I walked around the mall yesterday. That was plenty.

I just bought these jeans and they fit perfectly. Why risk it?


There was no excuse that I couldn't come up with. But, today I am in great shape. I work hard. I am allowed bonus rest days. I shouldn't have to justify it. As long as I don't let them happen day after day I win. The Former Fat Girl is going to lose this battle.

Have a Blessed Evening

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts