The road to Twenty!

Happy Monday Bleeps!

So today was a big day for me. It was my first attempt at 20 miles.

I went into it on many days rest. I got my sleep. I carb loaded. I was ready.

My original plan was to get up and go to it, but I had some things to do first so I opted for later. When I distance train I have to factor in meals. I couldn't go at 10 and then blow through lunch. So I planned on eating lunch at 11 and heading in after. And then I saw that the Tony Stewart press conference was on (and being held one small mile away from me). I couldn't leave. I had to watch. I wish I could have crawled through the tv screen and given him a big hug.

So I headed out once it was over. I had a plan going in. Just walk it and relax. Yeah that plan lasted 10 minutes. And then I took off. In my mind I started to break it down into 4 segments of 5 miles. I flew for 5 miles. I was feeling good. I can totally do 3 more of these. I cut it down to a walk for the next 5.

When I was on mile 8 I got a text from Ms. Amy asking if I had done my 20 miles yet.  She was my cheerleader for the next 12 miles. Every few miles I would get an encouraging text telling me that I was awesome and could do it. I heart her!

Side note: Ms. Amy and I are going to be in the Race for the Cure on Saturday. I am excited...and yes, I have my pink tutu out and ready!

So I finished mile 10 and I was thinking how good I felt. I started running again. I sailed across the 13 mile mark thinking I could double it no problem. And then I hit mile 15. Back to walking the rest. I was getting sore. My pace had been way better than expected and now I was feeling it.

I had thoughts earlier that I might go longer than 20 today.  Hahaha...I was a fool. With 5 to go I was hurting. I could feel a blister on my toe. My little baby toe was rubbing on the outside. I should have stopped so I wouldn't slow me down for future runs, but NO. I was on a mission. Short of death, I would be finishing this 20.

With 5 to go I also faced a hunger. This is something that is new to me. I never had a problem with my half marathons, but now when I hit the 15 mile mark I seem to feel very hungry. So I bring an extra protein bar for the occasion. I took a moment to eat my bar.

I ate, but it didn't help my toe at all...go figure. With 2 miles to go I hit my previous longest distance. My feet hurt. Moans were escaping my mouth every now and then. I was sweating. My toe felt like it was on fire. I wanted to stop. And then a song came on...I recommend to anyone who is training to put Ricky Martin's "The Cup of Life" on your playlist. He has a tendency to come on and ask "Do you really want it?" when I need it most. YES I DO!

With 1 mile to go I could feel it. OMG. I was going to hit 20! I DID IT!  I was so proud. There was moisture in my eyes...just sayin. I wanted to relish this victory, but the first thing that popped in my mind after was that I might squeak out another mile, but 6 more feels impossible. I have 2 more months to get there. And I will. Shoot, just last month 20 felt impossible and look what I did today.

I pushed my body today. I didn't give up. That's what it's all about people!

Have a Blessed Evening.

*************************************************************************
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress
pictures):

http://www.facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile

Instagram: Jennie5973

Comments

Popular Posts