One week til Girls on the Run

Hello Beautiful People,

Today we got our rosters for Girls on the Run. I am so excited. There are 13 girls and it looks like just 2 of us as coaches.

I knew a while ago that I wanted to get involved in this program, but I didn't know all that it involved. It's not a running program. It's an empowering program for young girls. It helps build confidence and lets these girls know that there is nothing that they can't do. And it also happens to keep them active.

It's funny, when I was in Pennsylvania and I decided this was something I wanted to do I wondered if they had it in Charlotte. Little did I know that the Girls on the Run program originated in Charlotte. I loved hearing the story behind it. It started with a girl who liked to run. She ran a lot. She also was going through a lot and was in a bad place. On one particular bad day it was raining and she went for a run. She ran and ran and started to feel better about herself. She happened to be a teacher and thought how wonderful it would be if young girls could know that good feeling. And soon a program was developed. Y'all know I cried during this story (I left a lot out).

Everyone asks why I want to get involved. The answer: if there was a program like this when I was younger my life might have been very different.  I had my moments as a young girl, but I was not full of confidence. I didn't really believe in myself. I ate and I watched tv. Oh sure I had the sports equipment and I would play for about 3 minutes, but I never thought I was any good at anything and so I never really tried.

How wonderful it would have been to be a part of a group designed to build me up. To let me know that there is nothing I can't do. And to help me be active. It's okay not to be fast. I would have needed to know that.

I think my favorite part of the coaches training was being reminded that we will be working with young girls. They like to talk. And they like to play with hair. haha. Yep, I remember that now. 

A lot of the coaches are teachers, which I am thankful for. That should help with the curriculum and with behavior. It's good for me to be an Assistant this year to get a feel on how to handle things before next season.

Is it next Tuesday yet? I can't wait to meet these girls :-)

Have a Blessed Evening.

*************************************************************************
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile

Instagram: Jennie5973

Comments

Popular Posts