Nutrition Seminar - Part 1

Hello my Lovelies and Gents
You may remember that I attended a Nutrition Seminar during the Fitness Competition.  I had promised to tell you about it.  Well today is your lucky day!  I’m about to share the wisdom that was imparted on me. It's a lot of information so I'm going to break it up in to two posts.  Part 2 will come later in the week. 

 Adjusting to exercise is easier than adjusting to proper nutrition.  Hopefully this will help.  I will share what he presented and add a little commentary of my own.
First, what is your attitude when it comes to nutrition? 
How do you feel about different types of foods? Seriously, if I had a nickel for every time I heard the phrase “I don’t like vegetables” I would be rich. And it's not just the kids saying it.  I didn’t like vegetables either…except for green beans and potatoes. And by potatoes I meant mashed with pounds of butter or the French variety.  However, once I purged my body of the bad stuff and reintroduced vegetables with seasoning I fell in love.  My taste buds came alive.
What is your attitude about the Regularity of Eating?  Are you one of those people that does not eat breakfast?  Shame on you!  It really truly is the most important meal of the day.  It fuels your body for what is to come and jump starts your metabolism.
Are you a stress eater?  Been there. Done that. Do not go grocery shopping when you are stressed.  Your cart will be filled with chips, ice cream, and frozen pizzas.  Turn to exercise instead.
Are you a Starver?  OH so dangerous.  Eating too little is just as bad as eating too much.  Again you are losing the fuel your body needs and the nutrition it needs to survive.
So the big question is: How motivated are you?  Are you motivated by an upcoming event?  A health scare?  Or do you really just want to change your lifestyle?
Second, education and habits need to start with during Youth. 
There was a cartoon provided with two little girls standing next to the scale.  One little girl says to the other: “Don’t step on it…it makes you cry.”  Funny and sad at the same time.
Starting young is soooooo important.  My lifestyle change was so difficult because I was battling 30 years of poor choices and bad habits.  It was so much harder to give up the junk and choose healthy when that was all I was used to for so long.
Think about your activity level during different phases of your life.  Were you active as a kid?  Involved in sports in high school?  Partying in college?  Did your weight alter with the different activity levels.
Third, Understanding your Metabolism. 
Do you know what your BMR is?  Do you even know what BMR is? Basal Metabolic Rate.  It is the sum of all the chemical reactions in your body at any given time.  It is your body’s daily caloric needs.  It decreases as you age.  A baby’s BMR is much higher than an elderly person’s since they are still growing.
Do you know how to determine your caloric needs?  Think of your desired weight.  If you are female then times your desired weight by 9.  If you are a male then times it by 10.  Now add in your lifestyle/profession calorie values: Active – 700 calories (roofer), Normal – 500 calories (teacher), and Inactive – 300 calories (cubicle world).  Plus add the calories you burn during exercise.
Fourth, and this was my favorite part because it’s stuff that I have already told you over the past year, are Simple Rules to Live By.
*NEVER MISS BREAKFAST
*Eat out as little as possible – And don’t forget: if you can get it through a drive-thru then don’t get it!
*Do not eat foods that are creamy or fried- EVER
*Severely limit sweets – my Kryptonite
*Do not eat like you are on a Maintenance plan if you are trying to lose weight. – This is where I am.  I am eating at maintenance and not losing.  I know I need to change it up to lose quickly, but I am going slow so that I have a better chance of keeping it off.
*Once you meet your goal then your Maintenance plan is a healthy lifestyle, not a diet.
*Be consistent!
*Planning ahead!
                *Plan for the Grocery story.  Make a list.  Plan out your meals for the week and only get what is on your list.    NO EXCEPTIONS.  If it is not in your house to eat you can’t eat it!  Sound familiar?  I’ve been saying that since my first Blog Post.
                *Be consistent in the types of food you eat.  It helps with digestion.
                *Take your food to work.- I keep low calorie snacks in my drawer all of the time.  It keeps me from raiding the vending machines.  I also pack my lunch every day.  It keeps me from the temptations that face me when going out to lunch.
*Keep a food journal for a week.  Be as specific as possible.  You’ll be able to determine what your weaknesses are.
*Purge your house of the temptations and bad food.  Just get rid of it!
*Set realistic goals.
Fifth, the importance of Nutrition before Exercising.
                *Why should you eat first?  To prevent low blood sugar and to fuel your body. – When I start to feel shaky during my workout then I know I didn’t eat enough first.  And I have to stop.  The other option is passing out.  And that it not an option of choice.
                *When should you eat? 0-4 hours before your workout (100-1200 kcals) – I hit the gym around 6pm so I make sure that I have an afternoon snack at 3pm.
                *What should you eat? Easily digested foods: toast, bananas, crackers.  Choose something with a little protein and fat for sustained energy for a longer workout. – I generally have yogurt or animal crackers.
Sixth, the importance of Nutrition during and after the workout.
                *Take advantage of your “glycogen” window which is up to 45 minutes after your workout.  It’s for optimal nutritional absorption.
                *Eating during and after greatly increases your stamina.
                *Drink your water immediately after to replenish your fluids.
                *If your exercise will last more than an hour, then eat something every 30 minutes.
                *After your workout eat as close to the finish time as possible.  – I eat a protein bar as I leave the gym then run home immediately and start dinner…no matter how sweaty I am.
Seventh, HYDRATE!  HYDRATE!  HYDRATE
                How much water should you drink?  It depends on how active you are.  If you are highly active then you want to drink your weight in ounces.  If you are in active then you want to drink half of your weight in ounces. 
Coming up in Part 2:
Reading Labels, General Food Information, Supplements, and more!


****Please note****
  
If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you!  Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week.  The journey is so much easier if you have support.


jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts