13.1 part 2

Hello beautiful people,

As detailed as I was able to be yesterday with my post, I left a lot out.  Now that my brain has recovered (I had a nice 3 hour coma this afternoon that helped) I have remembered a bunch of things that I wanted to tell you.  So this is going to be a whole lot of randomness.  Sit back and enjoy.  haha.

I of course had my ipod on for the race and put on the pedometer.  The average person takes 2000 steps in a mile.  My short legs take 2200.  I've known this so it's not a surprise.  What hit me yesterday was that according to my pedometer I had walked 14.9 miles.  So if my legs had only been 6 inches longer I would have finished 30 minutes earlier.  I had a great pace I'm telling you :-)

One of the things that made it hard to keep on pace was the water stops.  Have you ever tried to walk past someone and grab a cup of water and quick drink it in 5 steps before you hit the trashcan?  It's so hard to do without crushing the cup.  Now I know that everyone just drinks it and tosses it on the ground.  There are people there to pick it up. I just can't do that.  I did get gatorade at a couple of the stops and know I had a nice red moustache for a little while.  haha.

So I mentioned in a previous post that I had learned that nipple chafing was a real issue.  I was worried that I would start laughing if I saw bleeding nipples.  Well in my race bag they gave us a free sample of ointment to help with chafing. I took a picture.  haha. I never saw any bleeding, but I did see a lot of "wet" nipples.  Obviously these guys had put the ointment on.  Oh yeah, I giggled a little.

One of my favorite things to see was the truck bringing up the rear.  The guy jumped out of the back to pick up the clothes littering the route.  All of the clothes end up in a bin at the celebration tent.  I saw lots of shirts, jackets, hats and gloves, but toward the end I saw a pair of pants.  I just tried to imagine someone stopping and taking off his pants before going on.  I would be worried it would trip me up.

Speaking of tripping me up.  I did spot a dollar in the grass.  Oh yeah, I leaned over to get it.  It is now my lucky dollar.  Randy said we should take it and buy a lottery ticket.  haha.  No, it's going in the frame (with my medal, bib, and a picture).

I was worried before the race that people would be judging me for walking, but so many people smiled and told me what a great job I was doing when they passed me.  That made me feel so good.  So I did that for everyone I passed.  It meant a lot to me.

I have a new song that I want to add to the play list...the theme from Chariots of Fire.  haha.  Randy asked if I had that on.  He wanted to know if that was in my head at the finish.  It was not, but I so want it now.

The night before the race I had a long talk with my brother.  He had done a marathon in Vegas.  Turns out that I'm not the only one who puts holes in my socks with my toenails. No matter how short they are, I'm a hard walker.  He does it too. He said that means we use our calves more than our thighs.  Makes sense.  He also gave me some advice.  If I was stopping to use the bathroom (he does not know me at all...haha) then I should stretch out my legs first.  I need to relieve the blood from my feet before they swell.  I did not pee, but it was nice to know.

As I was walking I could feel the tightness in my hamstrings and my glutes...today I am butt cramping like crazy.  It's good though...I'm that much closer to my future butt! 

Before the race I was looking around and saw so many people wearing the pink bibs.  Blue bibs were for the Half.  Pink were for the Full.  I want a full some day.  I was hoping to train for it for next year, but after yesterday I will hold that off for at least two years.  Next up is to shave time off of my time.  It's still an ultimate goal, but I have to be smart about it.

Lastly, having the support at the finish line was so important to me.  It was so amazing to share the day with people that I love and who supported me.  So if you are signing up for a Half or a Full and you want someone there to cheer you on, then hit me up.  I will be there to scream for you and cheer you on.  I mean this.  Well as long as I have one scheduled.  haha.  It might be hard to just sit and watch, but I will do my best. :-)

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you!  Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week.  The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

  1. Jennie, I saw your weight-loss journey on AOL and started reading your blog, and I was smiling like crazy reading this post! Congrats on your successes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) Thanks It's one of my favorites...and of course one of my favorite days. Can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts