Monday, January 6, 2014

Christmas Part 4 - The journey home

Happy Monday is it Monday already?

Okay, it's time to wrap up my tales from Christmas. I have so many other things to talk about. So let's get on with it shall we?

Thursday was a work day for me. Booooooooo. Although after back-to-back days at Disney World and Legoland I was welcoming sitting for a while. I hated not playing with nephew though. I was hoping for a semi-quiet day. I was wrong. It was busy and hectic. There was snow going on in the North, not that I would know in sunny Florida...ahhh, and holiday vacations. Grr...I literally forced myself to get up every hour to use the ladies room and grab a snuggle from nephew.

I didn't even really get to take a lunch. I walked away from the laptop for 15 minutes to eat lunch with everyone and then I got back on. So 9 hours later I was happy to log off at 5pm. I got some snuggling in and then we had dinner. When it was time to give nephew a bath I was sort of passed out on the couch...and passed out I stayed. I never got back up that night except to take out my contacts. I was OUT. The adrenaline from 2013 was coming to a screeching halt.  I was a little worried. Generally this means that my defenses are down and I'm about to get sick.

Luckily I woke up feeling refreshed and renewed on Friday. That was our day with Nephew while my brother and sister-in-law went to work. Woo Woo!  I loved the mornings with him before breakfast. We would just sit in his room and play while Disney Jr. was on. This morning's pjs were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle topped off with a bib that Aunt Jennie bought: Milk Sucks - Got Margaritas?

When he went down for his morning nap I jumped in my car. I ran to Starbucks for a caffeine fix (a little worried from the day before). I was hoping for one of the location mugs too, but they didn't have any. boo...I was getting denied on this trip at every Starbucks.

I also stopped at Panera to pick up lunch...a Panera with a drive-thru! SAY WHAT????  It was awesome!  I had a young lad to get back to.

When everyone got home for the day a plan was formulated. Fireworks at Legoland started at 7pm. Across the street is a place for some BBQ...FINALLY!  Come on kids, Let's GO!

I got my small BBQ pulled pork, french fries, and green beans...and it was YUMMY. Brother got the large sandwich. It wasn't a huge difference and I'm pretty sure I could have taken it, but I was fine.

We really hadn't been to Legoland at night before. It was pretty sweet to see everything lit up. We barely made it in time for the fireworks, but we made it. HOLLA!  And then I ran around mini-land taking pictures.

When we got home I got to watch Syracuse win the Texas Bowl...HOLLA! GO ORANGE! (and for the record, when Nephew spilled water all over himself Aunt Jennie lept to action and changed him into the Syracuse t-shirt she got him for Christmas.

When Saturday morning came I was sad. Our carriage was turning into a pumpkin. We had a train to catch. I made sure to pack everything the night before so that I could maximize my time with Nephew. On my last morning I spent the longest time lifting him up and swinging him. He LOVED it. Little boy likes to hang upside down. It was a good workout let me tell ya.

It was soooo hard to leave, but leave we must.The last time were barely made it to the train in time and this time we were leaving on a Saturday. So we left 90 minutes earlier than last time.

I'll spare you the details of our torturous ride...trying to avoid the traffic and ending up on the turnpike paying a toll every 5 minutes...grr...

We made a stop at Starbucks for a bathroom break and to grab a sandwich. I found my Florida mug. HOLLA!  It's a good thing we stopped. Because when we got to the train station and checked in the only dinner slots available were at 9pm. WHAT??? 

They are lucky that I got to sit and look at palm trees before we left. Also, we knew better this time so we packed snacks and water for the ride.

I do enjoy the Auto Train. There is something relaxing about knowing I don't have to drive back home. This time I brought my own pillow and blanket. I had no problems falling asleep. I did have problems staying up for my dinner. It didn't help that everyone in our car seemed to have the dinners before us.

Honest to goodness, when we were walking through the cars to the dining car people were passed out asleep. People were asleep and we still hadn't eaten. It was late and I didn't want anything heavy in my stomach so I just had the ravioli and green beans. It was yummy. For dessert they had chocolate cake, ice cream, and cheesecake...but I selected the sugar-free jello. Not the easiest thing to eat on a train, but delicious.

I am happy to report that I fell asleep with no problem and was out for the whole night. I didn't even get a chance to wake up to get upstairs early for breakfast because we had no delays and where scheduled to arrive early.  So we opted to skip breakfast. I was still full from dinner and we would just go stop somewhere on the way home.

Since we were some of the last people on we were some of the first to get our car and we were at Panera in no time. I got my egg white, spinach, and pesto sandwich...YEAH! I hardly ever make it there in time for breakfast.

You would think I would be good to go. But, we got home and after I unloaded the car and showered I tried to read...and then I closed my eyes for a minute...4 hours later I woke up. What? 

I know I ran myself ragged and I think my options were sleep or get sick. I started sneezing after we got off of the train. I think the sleep helped me tremendously.  And then I was wide awake. We were meeting Aunt Carol and Mom-Mom for dinner at Cracker Barrel. I had planned on eggs in a basket, my most favorite meal, but I changed my mind.  I opted to order something off of the Wholesome Fixin's menu. This is big. Of all of the times I have gone to Cracker Barrel over the last 10 years I can pretty much count on 2 fingers the number of times I did not order eggs in a basket. But, I was trying to be good. I got the Buttermilk oven fried chicken with a baked sweet potato and seasonal veggies. It was sooooo good.

I had a wonderful trip. I got to see friends and family. I got to relax. I got to see Mickey Mouse. I got to sleep. I truly appreciated every moment. I did struggle with not working out regularly and not having full control of my food options. I brought some running clothes with me, but spending time with Nephew was more precious. I also walked a lot for a couple of days.

I kept reminding myself that I bust my butt every day at the gym so that I can relax and enjoy this time with my family. I shouldn't feel bad. I could talk myself into that, except that the Personal Trainer in me knows that after 2 weeks your body starts to break down. Looking at me you wouldn't know any different, but I could see a change in my muscle tone. Not just from the week, but I really hadn't had a big workout since the race the first weekend in December. What I needed to keep in mind is that when I start back up I can't go at full force. I need to modify and cut back. I need to work my way back up.

And that's what I've done so far. I'm on my way back!  Let's see what you got for me 2014!

Have a Blessed Night

Pledges for the Polar Plunge for Delaware Special Olympics can be made here:

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

No comments:

Post a Comment