I Heart New York

Happy Memorial Day Bleeps,



Wow, a lot has happened in such a short time...haha. It feels like we left for NYC a week ago and yet it was only yesterday morning. I somehow managed to get up and hit Starbucks before getting on the road. The plan was to leave from my Aunt's at 10:30. That meant heading out at 9.

I had my white chocolate mocha with raspberry and polished off my small cinnamon raisin bagel with peanut butter. I didn't know when I would be eating again so I needed to make sure that I was good.

To get myself into the mood for the weekend I threw on my favorite broadway show soundtrack: Rent. Please note that I am now abandoning all of my previous plans. I am now going to quit my job and pursue my dream of performing a one-woman show of Rent...simply because I know it all by heart and cannot decide which role I would rather sing.  Haha...just kidding, but I really do know it all by heart and sing my little heart out.

So the car ride to NYC was great. GREAT!  Big shout out to cousin Kim who had my quiz book and quizzed me the whole ride. Not only did she ask me the questions, but also asked additional questions and had me walk through some answers.   I did really well and I felt good with it. I also know my weak points that I need to work on.

We got in to the city early and amazingly found fairly decent parking on the same block as the hotel...thanks to my sharp eyes. Luckily they let us check in early. So we sat there trying to decide what to do for dinner. We still had several hours before show time. We took a while to make a decision, but once it was made everyone was happy...except my belly...which was terrified!  Aunt Sue suggested Ellen's Stardust Diner. I made them promise to slap me if I tried to order the reuben again. SLAP ME SILLY I say!

We were staying at the Marriott Marquis in Time Square so we had just a short walk up Broadway for Linner (Lunch/Dinner).  Luckily the 3pm shows were getting ready to start so we were seated right away.

Um so there really isn't a healthy option on the menu. I kind of really wanted the mac'n'cheese, but that's a big portion and I couldn't really take it with me. And so I settled for the North Carolina Tarheel. It was BBQ pulled pork with sweet potato fries, waffle fries, and fried mac'n'cheese bites. I thought it was an option for one and she just didn't ask what I wanted. Imagine my surprise when my plate came loaded with them. Surprise and former Fat Girl elation. Not gonna lie there.

I shared my mac'n'cheese bites and my sweet potato fries. There really weren't that many waffle fries. I ate my BBQ with a fork and skipped the roll. Even though it looked delicious.



The food was so good and the entertainment was stellar as always. It's my favorite place to eat in NYC...It's all about the show I say!

So when we were finished, we walked over to Tiffany & Co. for Kim to get her charm attached to her bracelet. Um yes...I love that store. We walked around and saw the Gatsby collection which was kind of cool. Being there just reminded me of my promise to by myself a ring when I pass my certification. That's right, I said WHEN not IF. :-)

This is one of my favorite pictures of the day. I LOVE NYC architecture. I'm not a huge fan of Donald Trump, but Trump Towers is pretty cool looking.





After Tiffany's we walked towards Rockefeller center. We made a quick stop in the NBC store and giggled at the Parks & Recreation section. We heart Ron Swanson!



Then we had a short time before we had to get to the Theatre. Kim is due with baby Cassidy in 6 weeks and so we needed to make a quick stop for a snack for her. So we stopped at a street vendor for some nuts and then some water. I couldn't resist and I got myself a knish...I just can't get them anywhere.




YUM!  And then we ran for the show. Our seats were the first row in the balcony. So um..that meant steps. Lots of them. But that's good cause we needed to move.

I knew I was going to like the show, but I didn't know I was going to love it. LOVE IT!  If you get the chance, go see it. The young actress playing Annie is so amazing and well Jane Lynch as Miss Hannigan is beyond spectacular. And guess what! The sun did come out tomorrow!

After the show we crossed the street to our hotel and relaxed for a little while. And then we began our epic quest. Pregnant woman in the city searching for a pizza place that she loves that she can't remember the name or where it is. Yeah, this oughta be good.



We headed south and then east and then back north. It wasn't looking good. And to top it off we were in the middle of Time Square at 10pm on a Sunday night of a holiday weekend...it might as well have been Friday night. Wall to wall people. We lost each other a couple of times. The pizza place never materialized. It was an epic fail. But, I did point out another pizza joint and we stopped in there for a slice. They were HUGE!  But at almost $6 a slice they better be!  I just got a slice of white and skipped the crust.

Even though it was chilly I had a craving for some gelato. I wanted to find the place that Aunt Carol and I went to after Harvey last summer. I found it first try!  We were only a block away and I knew exactly where it was so that helped. I really wanted coconut, but they didn't have any. So I got a small dulce de leche instead. AND we found my Black & White Cookies!  So I got one for the road.


I wish I had thought ahead and brought an outfit for working out. The hotel had a fabulous fitness center and it was practically empty. I honestly didn't think we would have time and I didn't exactly have the room for any more clothes. A little mad at myself. Even though we were walking around a lot, I easily could have gotten a good run in.

Before bed Kim was telling me about her maternity jeans. She loves them and said I should try them on. I was feeling mighty bloated and quite imaginary pregnant. I don't know why I did it, but I tried them on...and darn if they didn't look cute on me!


I seriously thought check out was going to be at 10. It was kind of nice that it was Noon. Argh I really could have gone for a run. And more importantly, if we would have used our brains we would have gotten up and gone to hang out by Good Morning America across the street. DOH!

Instead we went for brunch across a different street. Kim wanted eggs. I just wanted a light bagel. I didn't want my belly to kill me. But, I saw french toast and had to have it. And it was yummy.  Again, I didn't know when I would be eating again so I made sure that I got something to fill me up. But man, after all of this carb loading I really need to get rid of it this week.






I was sad to say Good Bye to NYC. You wanna know something weird? I loved when I lived there. I missed it when I left. Then when I moved to North Carolina and came back, I just wasn't in love with it anymore. Well the more that I go back, the more I fall back in love with my city.  I <3 NY






PS-The sun did come out tomorrow!


Have a Blessed Night.

I signed up with Run for Autism again :-)

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/jennifer-henderson-6/RNRPhilly13


****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts