Because every kid deserves to ride a bike

Hello my Lovelies and Gents,

Well another weekend and another 5K...haha. I am so tired and I need my time for studying, but I was not going to miss this race. Today was Preston's March 5K. I've talked about this cause before, but I cannot say enough about it.

Every kid deserves a chance to ride a bike. This organization raises money to adapt bikes for kids with special needs.  If you get a moment please check out their website: www.prestonsmarch.org

I had signed up early for this race and had invited Aunt Kathy and the girls to join me.  We left early to get there and register them.  That was great because I got to visit with some of my Elementary school pals before the start.

Then it was time to get down to business. There was a brief introduction of Preston and the history behind Preston's March for Energy. They have now provided 28 kids with bikes and are ready to present another. Then we had the National anthem before we were directed to the start line.

Now let me just say that cousin Hannah was practically asleep the whole car ride there and was saying that she would probably just walk the first 2 miles and run the last mile. When the race started I kept her stride for all of 3 steps and then I just saw the back of her shirt for a half mile before she was a faded memory. I would not see her again until the finish line. Girlfriend is a Junior in high school and a star cross country runner. For someone who was asleep minutes before the start she placed 5th overall.  I think that's my new plan.



*When I grow up I want to be fast like Hannah!*

Alright so it was fun to see the sea of orange shirts in all shapes and sizes running down the street. I wasn't sure what my plan for the day was. I wasn't feeling well, but I figured I would just run til I couldn't and then walk.

I liked the course. It was through a lovely park. My only problem was that my ocd was going ballistic because there were no mile markers. I had my pedometer on and so I had a gauge, but it's not the same. Other than that I loved it. Oh, except for the stick that was on the path that I thought was a small snake and I flipped out...good thing there was no one around me.

The best part of the day was that there were a couple boys that were riding their bikes in the race. That's why I like these days. It means so much more when you are participating with people who benefit from these races. Just like the Polar Plunge 5K with the Special Olympics. There were even some cheerleaders along the way cheering from their Preston's March bikes.
 
There was one stretch that sent us up into a neighborhood for a block and turned us back towards the finish line. It sent you back the way you came and so I turned into a high-five fest for everyone I know heading up that way. That jazzed me up and gave me a little kick.

Usually when I see the finish line I can kick it into high gear, but not today. I kept steady for a little bit and then my legs said "not today" and I walked about 30 feet. And then they remembered the plan and took off.

I was happy to see my time. It has steadily improved every race this year. Not by leaps and bounds, but I keep moving forward. And it means that each previous race was not a fluke.  Once again I am not posting my time because I am only in competition with myself. The good news is that all of my hard work is paying off.

We waited at the finish line to cheer on everyone else before heading over for some ice cream. YEAH!  We danced a little. We drank water. We visited with friends. We talked to kids. It was a great day.

I'm proud of all of my girls. Hannah smoked the field. Aunt Kathy ran a great race even though her race tracker kept telling her it was a rest day. Keeley finished way strong. My fam is great!

The best part of the day though was flipping through the photo album with all of the kids who have received bikes. Seeing them smile like that is so good for the soul.  It makes me smile from head to toe.

Days like today are fantastic, but they are also huge reminders of the many years that I wasted. I had a functioning body that I treated like crap. And that's not okay.  Life is different now and I can't change the past, but I can strongly encourage others not to make the same mistake. It's never too late. Make today the first day!  Don't take your body for granted. You deserve so much better.

*I tried to add more pix, but I was having technical difficulties. I will try again another day.

Have a Blessed Night my friends.

Fundraising for Breast Cancer:

https://dbcc.ejoinme.org/MyEvents/DEfeetBreastCancerRunWalk2013/2013DEfeetBreastCancerRunWalkSignupFundrai/tabid/434138/Default.aspx?joinme=24622

*************************************************************************
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile

Instagram: Jennie5973

Comments

Popular Posts