Breaking the Device Habit

Hello my Lovelies and Gents,

Well it's been a little longer than I anticipated since my last post. Sorry about that. You know I hate when I get off schedule.  Life has been very very busy lately. I'll tell you more about that on Random Wednesday.

Tonight I want to talk about my lovely birthday present. My family got me a Kindle. YEAH! I love love LOVE to read and I read a lot. I am a page turner though so I have resisted the Kindle for a long time. Also, I get most of my books from the used bookstore. It's the only way to feed my addiction.   So the problem is that I love to read and I travel a lot. When I travel I take 3 books: the book that I am currently reading and two books to start when I finish. Why two books? Well what if I don't like the first one?  Duh!  haha.

And so I have been researching for a couple of years and thinking about getting either a Kindle or a Nook for my travels. But, I've also been resisting it.

For my birthday I was asked if I would want "An iPod? A Kindle Fire? Or just a plain stinky Kindle?" So Grandmom didn't really say "plain stinky" but you get the idea.

My answer: I just want a plain Kindle with a light. That's all.

What? You don't want a Fire? You can play games on it. You can watch movies.

Nope, I just want to read books with a light.

And so I got a Kindle Paperwhite and amazon gift cards to buy books with.

So why is that what I wanted? I have an iPhone and a laptop. I can play games and watch movies on them. But, I don't want to do that either.
 
I am trying really hard to walk away from devices and not let them become my life again.  I've mentioned before how much I love my computer free days.  I know part of it is that I sit at a computer all day (and cannot wait for that to be over). But, another part is that the Former Fat Girl worshiped the TV and computer. She could sit for days and never get up and be happy.

So here's the deal. When technology switched to DVDs that changed my life. Before that the Former Fat Girl was the VCR recording Queen. She would record 3 hours of soap operas every day.  I am not proud of that time of my life. That's kind of one of the reasons why I avoid DVR at all costs. I can't fall back into the TV trap.

As it is, I am actually a little excited that it's Season Finale time. I am excited that I won't be running home to eat and shower quickly before a show comes on.  I can relax and finish my workouts and STUDY!

I still have an outrageous DVD collection, but I've been paring it down lately. And my TV? Well try not to get jealous, but I watch TV on my ginormous 13 inch TV.  And that's good enough for me. The reality is that a good Hoarders marathon will hold my attention no matter what size the TV is.

I have a couple of games on my phone that I play, but not that often. And as anyone who plays Words With Friends with me can attest, I take FOREVER between moves. I have "lost" so many games...and I don't just mean by having the lowest points. I mean by "resigning" because I let too long go between plays. 

I'm getting good at breaking my Devices habit. It's been a long long LONG journey, but I'm doing well with it.   Well except for the fact that I will drop everything for a Golden Girls marathon, I'm not perfect. 

I am enjoying my life away from devices. I am loving spending time outside. And I'm also going to love my Kindle. Thank you Family!  You're the best!

Have a Blessed Night my friends.

Fundraising for Breast Cancer:

https://dbcc.ejoinme.org/MyEvents/DEfeetBreastCancerRunWalk2013/2013DEfeetBreastCancerRunWalkSignupFundrai/tabid/434138/Default.aspx?joinme=24622

*************************************************************************
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile

Instagram: Jennie5973

Comments

Popular Posts