You want some fruit? I got your fruit!

Hello My Lovelies and Gents,

I've been wanting to write this since Sunday, but alas I was stricken with a migraine yesterday, I feel much better today, plus we have a snow day tomorrow so YAY.

I used to stress out about what food to bring to an event. These days I don't give it a second thought. Fruit!  You want fruit? I got your fruit.  I bring fruit to EVERYTHING.

This weekend I have a reunion for a Retreat weekend. I'm supposed to bring a dish. It's two hours away though. Fruit!

Since July I have been active with a meet up group that supplies and distributes food to the homeless in Charlotte every other week. It's a pretty awesome thing.  People sign up and bring what they can. The outpouring of love and compassion is humbling. The only thing is that you don't have any idea what other people are bringing. There are some regulars who you can count on for certain things. I've gotten Ms. Miracle (one of my most favorite people in the world) involved. She has been good for coffee and hot meals. It warms my heart.

I am good for fruit!  Oranges and bananas are great. I prefer cuties and halos to larger oranges because they are easier to peel. This past weekend we had 6 wagons full of food and items to help keep warm. My wagon was the fruit wagon. And I hawked it like a beast. Every time we would stop to offer someone food I was in there saying "You want some fruit? I got your fruit!"  I said it so much it became a running gag. But, you know what? People wanted the fruit. *heart*

I signed up for the meet up on New Year's Eve. I had mentioned this to my family in case they wanted to provide some items. My aunt wasn't able to join us, but she mailed me some money. It didn't come in until after New Year's. I was excited to use it for this past Sunday. I got oranges, bananas, crackers, and individual flavor packets for bottles of water. I was so happy for this donation. I would happily accept more. Hint Hint. Any and all assistance is welcome.

I always struggle when when it comes to providing food for people who don't access to proper nutrition. I always want to limit the sugar and the crap. Healthy options are always received well. There will always be a few people who are excited and receptive, but for the most part the crap wins. It's hardly stereotypical of any one group of people. Most people will choose the crap over healthy. That's just how it is. So frustrating.

A few posts ago I mentioned that at church we work with some neighborhood kids with a tutoring program. We also provide dinner. The program is called Hot Dogs and Homework. It's quick, simple, and cheap. When I took over the program one of the first things that I wanted to do was change the menu. We tried it. We spent hours making elaborate tasty and healthier options. The first thing they asked: Do you have any hot dogs?

If you don't start the healthy eating at a young age, then it's just that much harder to change eating habits later. Very few people will swap out french fries for apple fries without previous eating patterns.  Just come and spend a day at preschool with me. I cringe on a regular basis. Some kids come in with just cookies and cake in their lunch. Some kids have just fruit. That's good, except "where is the protein?"  There are some kids who have wonderful lunches, but for the most part it's hard to watch.

I love how the kids react when we provide fruit or vegetables as a special snack that goes with our lesson. Last week our theme for the day was: Orange (the fruit and the color). As a surprise I brought in some cuties. OMG. One girl was popping them so fast I had to remind her to chew. Only one kid didn't eat one slice of orange. Everyone else asked for more.

You want some fruit? I got your fruit!

Have a Blessed Evening,

Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


 If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jhendersonfit

Snapchat: jhendersonfit

Comments

Popular Posts