#MarathonTraining

Hello Beautiful People

I am very excited. Yesterday was distance day. I missed it last week. Travel and weather kept me from it. I still got my runs in, but not the distance that I wanted. I try to make it the day after Rest day, which is Sunday.

Yesterday's goal was 15 miles. I was pretty sure I would hit it. That is a good feeling.

First let me start by saying that my Rest Day didn't go as planned. I was not home all day. It was unplanned. I didn't quite get the water intake that I usually do. I didn't really carb load like I should.

That being said, I had made the decision to start later in the day. I am generally worthless after so I got some things done in the morning. I headed to the fitness center after lunch.

I was doing really well. My goal wasn't time related. It was simply distance and to see how I was feeling towards the end and after. Around mile 9 my feet started to hurt. They felt swollen. I am hoping that is because of the lack of hydration the day before. Around mile 10 my knee started to twinge.

I don't know how to explain it, but my mind and body respond to a timeline. Part of my OCD is that I am a time/distance watcher. If I need ten laps then after the first one I am thinking 'only 9 more'. After two laps I am thinking '1/5 of the way through'. 

Your mind is your biggest enemy and your strongest ally. When I hit ten miles I was mentally prepared. Five more miles to go. I was only 2/3rds of the way through. Mile 13 was awesome. I felt really good. So good I picked up my pace on mile 14. That was my fastest mile. It was happy. My lower body was also a little achy, but I was doing well.

For mile 15 I was going full out. I wanted to finish strong. And then I had a thought. I still needed a Cool Down afterwards. Maybe I should slow it down. That's all it took. My mind faltered and suddenly I had to slow it down. I still finished strong, but not as strong as I had planned. My mind got in the game.

When I finished I was so happy. I had a few tears, I know that shocks you. haha. It felt soo good. All of this work is paying off. Yesterday marked 101 miles in July.

My progress is not as fast as most runners. The pavement is killing my knee and hips. I'm moving slowly, but I'm moving. My finish is going to be long. I'm fine with that. But, I am mentally preparing for that as much as the physical part. The good news is that I am Mentally in the Game!  I'm actually a little excited for my next Distance Day. No, make that A LOT excited.



Have a Blessed Evening

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts