Goals, Motivation, and Support

Happy Sunday Bleeps,

I am currently part of a group on Facebook that is aiming for 100 miles in June. Some bike. Some run. Some walk. But the point is to post your achievements to encourage others and keep yourself motivated. The bonus is that you also get a lot of cheerleaders.

This is the second time that I have done this. I think the other was in November. I like it. It holds me accountable. Sometimes I need that. I can only dream of the day that I don't have things getting in the way and that I can just run every day because I want to. That day is going to come right?

I started off okay. Technically I should be able to just do 3 miles every day and hit it. Piece of cake for me. And that's been my goal. I want to at least do that a day. Especially with all of my training. December is right around the corner. So I started okay. Then I didn't do so hot. Getting sick always kills my momentum. If only you didn't need to breathe to exercise...

I have done really well recently and I'm in good shape now. It sucks that it's the last third of the month. I should be down to less than 30 miles, but right now I am at 40 left. there are 8 days left. If I do at least 5 a day I will finish. I can do this. 

It's also very nice to have support from people. I'm out there by myself every day so to have others cheer me on is quite nice. The other day I was on one of my last laps and a young lady was walking towards me. She gave me the thumbs up and told me I was doing great. I threw in a couple extra laps because it felt so good. It's also nice to come running in and post immediately how I did. It makes me feel good. It makes me feel accomplished.

I've been good about switching it up. I've gone outside. I've hit the treadmill. I have gone out in the heat. I have gone out in the rain. There is no excuse. I can do this. The problem is that I can easily give myself an excuse early in the month. "There's still plenty of time left."

I like to get out as early as possible. It gets it out of the way and there can be no excuse later as to why I didn't do it. It's a big adjustment for me though. For years I was used to working out at night. I would go after work and then I would go home and rest. So I'm still finding the fine line between big workouts and workouts that will knock me out for the rest of the day and keep me from doing anything.

For me I need to have this public goal. Private goals for me don't always work. If I don't tell anyone and don't do it then no one knows I failed. I don't want to fail and so I put it out there. It's what works for me.

There is no reward or prize for hitting the 100 miles in a month. It's just a personal satisfaction of knowing that I committed to it and I finished it. I will. And then I will try for 200 in July!

*****

TRAINER TIP

When it comes to working out in the heat play it smart. Where breathable fabrics (cotton) and drink lots of water. If you are going to be outside try early in the day or in the evening. Try to avoid exercising when it's humid. The moisture in the air does not allow your sweat to evaporate and cool your body temperature down. It puts you at a greater risk for heat stroke.

Have a Blessed Evening

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts