Everyone is a Beginner at First

Hello my Lovelies and Gents,

Today ACE posted a great picture on Facebook. It's something that I am constantly telling others and yet I seem to forget for myself sometimes.






When the Former Fat Girl worked out, as few and far between as that was, she did not like others to see her. She didn't want people to see how little she could do. The years that I didn't belong to a gym I worked out in the privacy of my own living room so that others wouldn't see. When this journey began and the Former Fat Girl joined the gym she would find herself going at down hours so that others wouldn't see. Early mornings. Friday nights. Sundays.  Those were the only times that she would try something new. She didn't want others to see.

So cut to today and there are moments that really frustrate me in my Marathon training.  I want to be so much further along.  It hurts that I'm not. It hurts my ego. I have limitations. My knee holds back my progress. I am still progressing, but not as fast as I would like. I am not as fast as I would like to be. That means my distances take longer than most runners. It gives me a lot of extra time to think. Sometimes it's good. I get a lot of great ideas and work through issues. Sometimes it's bad. I also tend to dwell in my setbacks.

I have to keep reminding myself that I am still a beginner in this training. Okay so it's not like I am going from the couch to a Full. I have a bit of a background in this so I'm not a total beginner. But, I'm not as far along as I would like to be. And that's okay as long as I keep moving forward.

No one wakes up one morning after doing a lifetime of nothing and says "I'm going to finish a marathon today." That just doesn't happen.  If you've never stepped foot in a pool or a large body of water, the odds are that you aren't going to be able to swim like an Olympian the first time out there. Everyone was a beginner at some point.

*****

Today's distance was frustrating. I had planned to do it. But, I had originally planned on going to the gym for it. It was so beautiful outside. I changed my mind. I needed fresh air. Today's goal was distance only. It didn't matter what my time was. And that was a good thing today. I was very tired last night. I ran 5 miles yesterday and then spent the whole afternoon helping my mom clean and clear her classroom. I passed out last night. I was tired when we left school and we went to Subway. It was good, but I should have carb loaded knowing today's plan.

When the plan to spend the 10 miles outside changed that also indirectly changed my time. It got hot. I came in several times for popsicles and fresh water. Those little breaks slowed me down. I lost momentum and it took time away. I added 10 minutes to my pace time. That frustrated me, but I had to remind myself that today's goal was about distance, not time. For next week's Distance day we plan ahead. 


Have a Blessed Night

*************************************************************************
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile

Instagram: Jennie5973

Comments

Popular Posts