Cape May Recap: Walking, Ice Cream, and Sweatpants

Happy Monday Bleeps!

Well I am happy to report that despite being exhausted the last two days I squeaked in my 100 miles in June. In fact I got in officially 100.5 Holla!  I am signed up for July. I also start another push up program on Wednesday. My arms looked beach ready thanks to them. I'm in.

Okay so let's talk about my fabulous couple of days in my most favorite place on earth- Cape May, NJ.

Where do I begin?  First off, I shall describe it for those of you who have never been there. It is a quaint little Victorian beach town. There are horse drawn carriages. There are flowers everywhere. There are bicycles everywhere. The boardwalk isn't really a full boardwalk. Most of is is asphalt and there are very few stores on it. It is not gaudy and flashy. It is relaxing and so beautiful.

As a former fat girl it felt ginormous. It would take forever to walk from one end to the other. On this trip I parked my car and walked EVERYWHERE. It was glorious. I so want to get a cruiser bike and ride around there one day.

Thursday I got there late in the afternoon. I met my family at the beach. I wasn't in a bathing suit, but I changed into a tank top and we went for a nice walk. I hadn't seen some of my cousins in two years. They have been in Lithuania for two years and I missed them at Christmas this year.

So not only was I seeing my family, but I also discovered that my good friends from college were in town for the weekend. Ms. Ann and Mr. Damien have been in Thailand for a year. They are back for a month to visit family and we just happened to be in the same place at the same time. So I went to meet them for dinner and show them around a little. Their son was allowed to pick what he wanted for dinner and pizza was his choice. I got one slice of plain. And then he wanted ice cream. In full disclosure I had gone to Ben & Jerry's with Aunt Kathy and Uncle Judah before I met them for dinner. I got a kiddie size coconut ice cream. So for this ice cream I got a small sugar-free Mint chocolate chip.  I loved seeing these guys again. We had reconnected shortly before they left for Thailand.



We considered getting up for Sunrise on Friday, but it was very cloudy. So I slept in a little longer and then we went for a morning run. Well mine was more of a walk. I was able to jog a little, but my knee was really sore without a rest day and the walking on the beach the day before. I was up a little during the night. So I walked most of it. But, it was cool. For years I had seen people running along the boardwalk and was jealous. This time I fit right in. :-)



Afterwards I wanted to go to the beach. The family had been there all week and wanted to go to the Lighthouse. Normally I would have been all over it, but there is no way my knee was going to get me to the top. So I went to the beach.

I had my chair and my towel. I had my book and my water. I was happy.






I saw lots of dolphins and finished my book. Then my two young lad cousins came to hang with me. After a little while everyone joined us and I could get up and walk freely. Aunt Kathy, Uncle Judah, Cousin Jacob, and myself went for another 3 mile walk looking for shells and rocks. I got to spend some time with Cousin Jacob and that was really sweet. The walk away was fine, but the walk back was difficult. It was really windy and my tankini top kept blowing open. I was a little self conscious at first, and then I just didn't care. I didn't see anyone running and screaming so I figured it was ok.

After the beach, a shower, and a little rest we went back out to watch the sunset. That's the beautiful thing about Cape May. It's at the bottom of New Jersey so you can watch the sunset too.



We were with 3 teenage girls (one of whom thought I was 20!!!!) so I was in Selfie heaven. hahaha.






Later in the night we had girls night shopping. Well the girls wanted ice cream. haha. I wanted custard so I went with Cousin Hannah and got soft serve and then we met the others at Ben & Jerry's. Nothing beats vanilla and chocolate swirl...just sayin.

*Forgot to mention that Cousin Hannah made some killer guacamole that we snacked on with carrots...YUM

Right by Ben & Jerry's is one of my favorite stores, Great White Shark. I had gone in the night before and found some sweatpants on sale. I really wanted a pair. I had had a pair forever that I loved, but I finally got rid of them. They had CMBP on the butt and I felt that I was too old for that. I went in while the girls were eating and realized they also had writing on the butt. I was telling the girls this and also happened to mention the number of butt selfies on my my phone because I like to see the progress and I am super proud. They said I should be proud and get them anyway. Show off my butt and bring attention to it. So I went in and tried on a couple of pairs. The medium fit my waist, but the legs were not super loose. The large were nice and loose on my legs, but really big on my butt. But, if I roll the waist down I am good. I got them. (and I've been wearing them for two days...I super heart them!)

Saturday morning was sad. I didn't want to leave. I mean I REALLY didn't want to leave. I would live there if I could. The Girls and Cousin Nathan had to leave early, but the rest of us decided to get in a game of Mini-Golf. I was happy. :-)  After everyone else left and I was walking around. I wanted to get my pork roll sandwich. It's my Cape May favorite. So I walked to the arcade where they sold them and was devastated to see it's under new management. No more pork roll. (I have since googled and found another place that has it so i'm good for the next time). Instead I got a pineapple gelato.

When I was walking back to my car after getting a few things I found out that Ms. Ann and the fam were on the beach. So I grabbed my beach bag from the car and headed back. I stayed with them for a while and then eventually had to make my way home. It was a bonus visit and it was so sweet.

My eating wasn't the best, but I walked logged over 21 miles walking and I kept my portions down. I also kept drinking my water like there was no tomorrow. It wasn't perfect, but I'm okay with it. Nothing can ruin my Cape May time...just need to plan another trip now.

Have a Blessed Evening

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts