Love/Hate relationship with Thanksgiving

Hello my Lovelies and Gents,

Does anyone else have a Love/Hate relationship with Thanksgiving?  Right now is about when I start to panic. I start dreaming of Thanksgiving dinner and get a little too excited over it. Most people just see Thanksgiving as a day to indulge in food. I see it as a nightmare.

I have my tricks to try to hold myself responsible, but I can't control my brain. So let's start with the good stuff. Here are my tips to help make Thanksgiving Dinner easier for you.  Well, not exactly easier, but hopefully you won't be rolling around on the floor afterwards because your belly feels like it's going to explode.

1. Do not burn food scented candles. This only makes you hungry when you really aren't.
2. Make sure to wear clothes with a waist for dinner. When your clothes start feeling snug it is time to stop.
3. Don't forget to eat before your meal. Don't skip lunch in anticipation. Or if you are having an early dinner, make sure to have a late morning snack. If you go into the meal hungry, chances are you won't make good decisions.
4. If you are a guest and are bringing a dish, make it a salad or side vegetable. That way you at least have control of a healthy option.
5. Drink lots of water. Stay hydrated!
6. Fill your plate with vegetables and salad. Finish them first before hitting the starches. That way you know that no matter what happens, you at least got your veggies in.
7. Go for a walk after dinner. Just get up and move.
8. Pack up left overs right after dinner and put them in the fridge. Don't leave them out to pick at all night. It lessens the temptations.
9. If you do not have room for pie, do not have a piece. No matter how much you want one. That could be what pushes you over the edge.
10. Use a smaller size plate. I always fill my large plate to the brim and then I'm stuffed before I finish.

So in theory I have good ideas to help me. And I have had some fairly successful Thanksgiving dinners in the past. Heck, I started South Beach a week before Thanksgiving several years ago. That was my most successful Thanksgiving ever. I actually lost weight that week. Mentally, it was my toughest week ever though.

One meal is not going to hurt.

Come on. It's a special occasion.

I don't make this all of the time.

IT'S THANKSGIVING!

Have you heard those before? Me too. And you know what? One meal is not going to kill me. But, when is Thanksgiving ever just ONE meal?  I am always away for Thanksgiving. It's not like I am going home right after dinner. This food is in my face for days. Oh my gosh, when we were going to the Outerbanks for Thanksgiving it was encouraged to finish all of the food before we left so that we wouldn't have to drive it home. In theory, that's great when there are 10-12 people that can share in that eating. In my mind, that was license to just have at it.

I am like a stealth attack ninja eater over Thanksgiving. Quick! No one is looking. Grab that pie. No one saw me eat that sandwich so I will just sit with Family Member 1 here and pretend like this is my first lunch of the day. Score, no one is in the room and no one will notice those cookies are gone.

I can feel the Former Fat Girl stirring and getting MIGHTY excited. She's just hoping there's enough mashed potatoes for everyone (because she would consume a giant mixer bowl full all on her own if allowed). This makes me NERVOUS. It's normally tough to control myself over Thanksgiving, but I have been through so much stress these past few months that I fully anticipate a Total Turkey meltdown.

Let me just leave you with this. I have always been one to volunteer to clean up after dinner. It's not because I am a nice person with OCD. Although I am. It's basically because if leftovers don't fit nicely into a container, I would volunteer to eat the overflow. I'm telling you, that Former Fat Girl is sneaky! 

Have a Blessed Night my friends.

PS - I'm now on instagram: Jennie5973

*************************************************************************
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile

Comments

Popular Posts