Flashback Friday: Food as Fuel

Welcome back Flashback Friday!

I didn't get a chance to post last night because I left work to beat the storm home. I skipped out on Boot Camp. I got home in record time and hit just a little rain. Since I am about to go away for the 7th weekend in a row I sort have some housekeeping to do last night. It spontaneously errupted so I went with it. The good news is that I have clean clothes for this weekend. haha.

So this is one of my favorite posts. Changing how I look at food has really changed my life. Sure I still have weak moments, but for the most part I do well. Thankfully.

Food as Fuel

Hello my Lovelies and Gents,

Okay, it's time to get tough. Yesterday I was picking up a few groceries and I saw the usual scene. A very large couple walking by pushing their cart. The cart was full of CRAP. Cheese puffs. Tasty cakes. Soda. Frozen pizzas. Doritos. Sugary cereals. Oreos (although I can't really blame them on that). Bags of frozen hot wings. Ice cream.

I really wanted to pull them aside and ask them why they were doing that to themselves.

Seriously, there was NOTHING nutritional in there. They are filling their bodies with crap and it shows. And really, most of the stuff is there just to eat. It serves no purpose. Let's face it. You are never going to fill up on Cheese puffs. If anything, you'll make yourself sick, but you'll never have that one and say "Wow, I am really full now. That did the trick."

Want a wake up call? Check out the calories on the back of a frozen pizza. And remember that it's per SERVING. It ain't pretty. Now tell me how many slices you eat? Come on, you can polish off a full frozen pizza. We all know it. Been there. Done that.

Watching them push the cart made me so sad. I remembered that cart. I used to have that cart. It took me back to times when I really didn't believe in myself and I hid behind food. Filling up on empty calories is just stupid. Why do it?

So how did I change things? I stopped thinking of food as fun and started realizing that it's fuel for my body. With the right fuel I can do so much more. If it's not going to fill me up, I don't eat it.

Remember my new car? I still heart it! Well there was a discussion about gas. There is a gas station by me that has notoriously low pricing. I went there once. And you know what? It did not last me nearly as long as other gas stations. It was bad gas. No wonder it's cheap. I generally frequent the wawa gas stations. They aren't as low as that one, but tend to be the lowest in the area. Well that horrified my uncles. My cousin was having a trouble with her car and the first thing that was asked was "where do you buy gas?" The answer was Wawa. "Don't Do That!". They are not responsible for their own gas. They buy from others. So it's cheap. *Please note, I still very much heart Wawa as a store, I have just opted out of the gas portion*

So I have been paying the extra couple cents a gallon and you know what? That's lasting even longer. It's worth the extra money to make my car run smoother and better.

Well it's the same with food. If you think of food as fuel, then when you are feeding yourself the right fuel, you'll run better. I feel like crap when I indulge in greasy food now. And it sure as heck makes the treadmill a nightmare when that happens. I feel like a rock is in my belly and I burp the whole time. When I eat right, I feel much better and can workout much longer.

So often I hear "Eating healthy is so expensive" Well, in a way it is, but it's so worth it. There are ways to make it work though. Are you responsible for your own food? Or do you rely on others? It really does make a difference. It takes some getting used to, but cooking for yourself instead of eating out is so much better. It makes you accountable for yourself. There are no hidden ingredients. You know exactly what you are putting into your body.

Do you eat only when you are hungry? Or do you eat out of habit? The other day I was sitting in my room reading and just itching to hit the kitchen cabinets. I don't keep junk anymore. If I'm hungry I have peanut butter and crackers or carrots and hummus. But, if I'm not really hungry, then I just have some gum and a glass of water.

Okay kids, I need to pack my gym bag for tomorrow...I need to decide what to wear for boot camp (and yes, I remembered to shave tonight :-)

Have a Blessed Night.

I signed up with Run for Autism again :-)

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/jennifer-henderson-6/RNRPhilly13


****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts