It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year...and tips to survive it

Happy Friday Bleeps!

I HEART Christmas. I do. I am one of those annoying people that watches every Christmas movie ever made during the season (and yes, I am of the belief that the great love story of my life will happen at Christmas time just like one of the Hallmark Channel Movies). My car radio is set to the Christmas stations on November 1st. I actually like the holiday buzz when shopping. I still send 50 plus Christmas cards out every year and get excited when I come home to a new card in the mail. Although I do not wear the Christmas sweaters...I do sport some Christmas t-shirts.  I am Little Miss Christmas.

However, it's a much different time for me these days. It was always stressful, but it was a happy stressful. The Former Fat Girl used to see the food at Christmas and cheer. The new fit girl feels like Scrooge sometimes.  It's hard to get excited about the food and the constant business is threatening my workout schedule.  I no longer fantasize about what food will be served.  Instead I am dreading it and hoping there are healthy options.

I am not claiming to be an expert in Surviving the Holidays, but I will share with you some tips that have helped me through these past few years.

General
*Get out a monthly calendar and plan out your events. Make sure to include "workout" on your free days.
*Plan your workouts in the morning on weekends so that you don't get "too busy"
*Plan your cheat meals around parties or meals out with friends/family/coworkers
*Walk around neighborhoods as a family and enjoy the Holiday decorations

Shopping
*Eat before you go shopping
*Bring a bottle of water with you to stay hydrated
*Don't fight the parking, park far away and take trips to the car...Every little extra step counts
*Wear comfortable shoes. I don't want to hear any excuses "My feet hurt so I'm not working out today"
*Get in a workout before shopping. That way you've already got it covered in case you are "too tired" after
*Make a list of who you need to buy for and stick to the list
*Avoid buying candy or savory treats as gifts. Keep it healthy...plus I cannot tell you the number of times I had to buy a new gift because I ate the one I already bought for someone
*Don't kill your back. Minimize your pocketbook.
*Pack a protein bar in case you feel hungry

Parties
*Do NOT hang out in the kitchen. Park yourself far away from the food.
*Offer to help with cleanup not set up.
*Offer to bring a vegetable or salad
*Make sure to eat before.  If the party is for dinner, eat a protein packed afternoon snack. Don't go to the party hungry.
*Chew gum to keep from snacking.

Travel
*Do NOT eat in the car.  Pull over to a restaurant that has seating or stop in a park to eat. Remember, if you can get it through a Drive-thru don't get it.
*Keep any food/treats you are bringing in the trunk
*Drink plenty of water and plan for bathroom stops. The sodium in soda makes you bloat
*If the trip is excessively long, pull over and walk around a little while. Get the blood circulating. Do some jumping jacks or squats to move.
*Pack healthy snacks (veggies, sliced apples, granola, nuts, cheerios, etc)

I am driving to Florida next weekend and I'm full of all sorts of emotions. I'm so excited! I'm going to see my brother and sister-in-law...and I'm going to meet my nephew for the first time. I'm also planning my pitstops around Charlotte and Savannah. One is to see some friends and one is for a BBQ/walking break. One travel day will be about 10-12 hours in the car. It's going to be stressful. I can't eat too much because I won't be burning any calories, but when you are in a car that long and all you are doing is passing signs for the food at the next exit...well it messes with your mind.

No one said it's going to be easy, but it is doable. Remember, we can get through this together!

Have a Blessed Night my friends

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts