Holidays: Anxiety, Stress, OCD, and Eating

Hello my Friends,

Is anyone else having a hard time focusing?  I cried listening to teachers talking on the radio this morning.  I cried when I saw pictures of tributes to the victims during football games this weekend. I mean we are talking big ploppy tears.  I had no make up left on my face by 10am.  I gotta say that I got a little too overjoyed when I had to pee. As much water as I have been drinking I have not needed to use the ladies room that much. It was all coming out in tears.

I know that I said I would recap my weekend, but I'm going to talk a little about it and then finish up later.

First, I forgot to mention in last night's post that Friday night Gym Buddy Lisa and I were at the gym on the treadmills. It felt good to be there and getting a workout in, but all that was on the televisions was coverage from Connecticut. It was VERY hard to stay on.  My pace was slow and choppy. 

Second, I kind of figured out why I am having so much stress and anxiety right now. I have told you how much I love Christmas. I am all about the traditions. This year is completely different. We aren't having a family party (unable to get everyone together). Usually I spend Christmas Eve at my Sister's with my Dad and then Christmas morning I drive to my uncle's in my PJs and spend Christmas day curled up watching A Christmas Story with my cousins.  This year I will be in Florida. I won't see my Dad until January.

I am truly excited about my trip. I can't wait to see my brother and sister'n'law and meet my adorable nephew.  But, not having my normal Christmas routines is making me anxious. Remember, I am the girl that would spend 3 hours putting tinsel on the tree (one strand at a time...and would FREAK OUT if there was more than one). It's not rational. There's nothing I can do.  But, when I get anxious I want to eat. BAH. 

When I feel things are out of my control I start to get a little manic with my OCD. All of the lotions have to be facing the same way on the dresser. I push my carrots in to perfect little piles before I eat them. I straighten and restraighten the notebooks on my desk. And I fidget.

Oh and throw in the travel aspect and I'm about to lose it. I am used to traveling.  I do it all of the time. And I'm good at it. I should be a professional. But, I am good when I am by myself. When I have to wait for someone else to be ready I am not so good.  I love my mom and I do enjoy traveling with her once we are on the road, but I get very stressed trying to get out of the door. 

I have to tell you that she read my post about Tips for Surviving  the Holidays and is scared about the "food in the trunk" and "no eating in the car" rules. She says she's going to store nuts in her coat pockets and sneak them when I'm not looking. ha ha.

Okay, so when I stress I want to eat. And then if I eat something I shouldn't, then I stress some more. It's a vicious cycle. I started counting up my calories yesterday and it freaked me out. I was 1500 over my regular allotment. 1500!  3000 calories is one pound. I ate and didn't workout. BAH!

One of the things I post on my Confessions Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir?ref=hl) are healthy tips that are sent to me. This is the one that I posted today:

*** Today's Tip:  IT'S All ABOUT BALANCE                           

Losing weight is a matter of balancing your calories. To lose weight you have to eat and drink fewer calories than you are burning. Generally, a reduction of 500 to 1,000 calories per day can result in a 1 to 2 pound per week weight loss. But, we all respond to weight loss efforts differently, so see how your body responds during several weeks of eating less and/or being more active. A safe rate of weight loss is generally considered one-half pound to 2 pounds per week.

Sources: Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

Well read that backwards. If you are increasing your daily calories by 500 to 1,000 a day you are gaining 1-2 pounds a week.   And if you are not being active then you aren't burning any of them off.  It's ain't pretty my friends.  

Okay kids, I came home tonight to watch the Syracuse game. Mr. Jim Boeheim is going for his 900th win...it's about to happen so I must give him my undivided attention.

Have a Blessed Night my friends

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts