Something is better than Nothing

Happy Sunday Bleeps,

And how are you on this beautiful snowy Sunday night?   OMG forget North Carolina, I am ready to move to the Bahamas right now! This cold and snow is really getting to me mentally and physically.

Physically I'm cold yes, but my body is getting used to that. Shoot I'm going outside with no coat if the sun is shining. My body is adjusting. However, there is one thing that is not adjusting. My joints are so stiff and sore it's not even funny. It's making it very hard to get my running in.  My knees are hurting before I even get out there.

Several times this last week I have woken up with swollen hands. My fingers were swollen and it it hurt to type for work. It got better as I warmed up, but it's not fun.

So there's the physical part that I'm struggling with, but the mental is worse. And it's not quite what you think.

I have worked from home 4 days in the last two weeks. I am thankful for that option. I don't want to drive in dangerous conditions if I don't have to.  My new rule is that if everything is closed around me then I am staying home and working. One of the mornings was clear when I would have been leaving for work, but by the time I would have been halfway there it was messy and slick and just awful.

While I am thankful for the option to stay home for safety reasons, I hate it personally. I tend to get tunnel vision and barely move. I literally have to put "Get up and move around" on my calendar or set my alarm on my phone.  Normally I can deal with it, but I am currently transitioning off of 2 accounts and back on to an old account. It's very busy and hectic. By the time I get to take lunch, if I get to take one, I feel like I'm coming out to the daylight after months in the dark. I try to drink as much water as possible, but I'm cold and so I'm generally trying to drink warm drinks. So I'm not quite getting the water intake that I want on top of it all.

I try very hard not to consume extra calories on days that I am not moving enough to burn them off. That's why my rule of: "If you buy it you will eat it" is so key. I feel like a caged animal and look for anything and everything to eat. Food wise I was pretty good these past couple of frigid weeks at home. But exercise wise, I failed miserably. And I am MAD.

Fine, I couldn't get to the gym. That's no excuse. I have the tools and resources at home to get a good workout in. I could use the treadmill. I could do a yoga dvd. I could do weights. I could make it an abs/push ups night. I could do so much. But did I? No. Why?  I can give you a couple of reasons.  The first is that I know my body and I know my water intake. I don't do well with running or walking if I am not completely hydrated from the day. I know I wasn't at all. Now, that doesn't mean I couldn't do something light. I just didn't.

The second is that I couldn't get myself together mentally. I had a bunch of things on my To Do list and I rationalized that it was okay to not workout because I had other things I needed to get done and out of the way. Did I do them? Nope. I was like a vegetable. And it pissed me off. In all fairness I had my period during one of those weeks and considering the stressful days we are just lucky that everyone made it out alive.

This really bothers me. I know better. I know what I need to do. I know that I will feel better. There are no excuses. Something is better than nothing. I am so mad at the cold right now. I'm mad at what it's doing to my body. I'm mad at what it's doing to my head. I'm mad at myself for letting it get to me. I'm mad that I let work get the best of me these past couple of weeks. My health and well being is not worth the sacrifice.

I am so behind on my training right now. My time for Rock'N'Roll USA next month is not going to be great. My knees are just not up to the training right now. When I say they are stiff and sore, that is during the run. Usually I feel it after. Right now I'm feeling it during and so all of my runs in 2014 so far have been scaled back or cut short abruptly. And on top of that I need to pad my recovery days. I would love to have a body that would allow me back to back running days, but I don't. And right now I'm not even getting them with just one day in between. *insert sad face*

Today was a planned distance day on the treadmill. Did I do it? No. Grr....my day got away from me. The good news is that I really did knock a lot of things off of my to do list. The bad news is that once again I was not getting the water intake that I needed. The good news is that I finally did and I've had to pee about 3 times since I started writing this. Of course that also makes me colder so now we are in a vicious cycle. haha.

Okay, before I go (because I want to prep a couple more posts to make things easier for the week) I want to share my Victory for the day. I hate complaining so we are going to end this on a very positive note. One of my To Do things today was to go get new running pants for the race for next month. Having my pants fall down while I'm running is getting to be very annoying. And so I went and took 7 pairs of medium spandexy running leggings into the fitting room. They all fit! And actually the only problems I had were with ones that were too long.  I almost tried on a small, but I was so happy about the mediums that I didn't want to take the chance of seeing my body trying to expel itself from the small. I wanted to relish in my Victory. I ended up getting two new pairs. Holla!  And I promise that if I can get in some good runs this week I will be trying on those small in a couple of weeks.

Have a Blessed Night.

Pledges for Run for Autism  can be made here:

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/jennifer-henderson-6/RNRUSA14


*************************************************************************
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile

Instagram: Jennie5973 

Comments

Popular Posts