Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Fairy Tale: the Chocolate addict and the Hot Chocolate 5K

Happy Tuesday Bleeps!

What the heck is happening to my days? Yesterday got away from me. I went through my summer clothes and then I had a massage. ahhh.

So let's talk about the Hot Chocolate 5K I did on Sunday...bright and early Sunday morning. The race started at 7:15 so I had to leave at 5:15 to pick up Heather and her son.  Usually I take a shower the morning of the race to wake up, but I didn't want to wake everyone up so I showered the night before. So it was a little hard to get moving in the morning.

I had my banana for breakfast, but I started to get hungry on the ride in. The race started where the Rock'n'Roll races start so I planned on parking in my usual spot. It was an easy ride in, but when we opened the doors it was COLD. What do I do?  I was wearing my running leggings and long sleeve shirt from the December race. But, I was COLD. It's a mile walk to the start and we would be standing around for a little while. I had my jacket that I was wearing in the car. I could wear that. I also had my race jacket to change into afterwards. I would overheat during the race, but it was cold dang it.

Our warm up walk to the start line became a light run warm up. We could see the sun shining, we just had to get out from between the buildings. When we got to the start line things were hopping. I was texting with a friend trying to find out where she was when I lost Heather and Xavier. Doh!  Heather and I were assigned the same corral, but it was packed and I couldn't find an opening in the gate so I jumped in the one behind. I figured I would meet up with them at the Hot Chocolate stop after the race.  Everywhere I looked people were wearing the jackets. Well done organizers!

They spaced us out with 3 minutes between each corral start so I knew that I would be seeing the leader heading back towards the finish line fairly early on. I had to prepare myself for that.  I was a half mile in when the leader came running past...that was also the same time that I started overheating and my knee started to freak out.

I wanted to take pictures, but decided to wait until after the turnaround on mile 2.  I want to give a shout out to the organizers for sticking orange cones in all of the pot holes. Thank you. That did help.

So a little before the turnaround a saw Heather and Xavier coming towards me. Big wave!  I made the turnaround and kept running to mile 3. Then I decided that my knee hurt too much to risk it and it was a beautiful day for pictures. So I pulled off to the side running path and slowed it down. This was probably my last Philly Race this year and I wanted to capture the moment. I also had a lovely assistant offer to take a photo for me.

Okay so did you notice my headband? Isn't it cute!  It's one of the bondibands that I got before the race last month. One day I hope to be a paid endorsement for them. haha. I love them so.

Alright, I finished the race nice and sweaty and with a little difficulty breathing. I tried the controlled breathing that Aunt Kathy showed me. I couldn't remember the numbers, but it seemed to work.  So I headed over for my Hot Chocolate mug.

So what happens when you give a chocolate addict chocolate fondue after a race? She turns into a crazy person. We got mini pretzels, graham crackers, rice cake, banana, and a marshmallow to dip in our chocolate. 

After we finished our goodies we walked back to take the obligatory photos in front of the Art Museum.

And now for my favorite part of the day. There was a dj and a dance floor. They were doing a lot of line dancing and oh I wanted to go, but we wanted to head over to the merchandise tent figuring that it was warm. On our way there the Charlie Brown (Cha Cha) came on...we may have embarrassed the young lad a tad. Right foot let's stomp. Okay. Left foot let's stomp. Okay. To the left. Take it back now....there was no stopping us. I thought the boy was going to faint at chris cross. Cause we did!

We made it to tent. It was a mad house. I found the perfect shirt for me, but I didn't get it.  I did get a headband though.

We made the mile trek back to the car and headed home. Well first we were stopping at Starbucks (I was holding it in cause I was NOT using a porta potty). Plus I wanted to change pants. I was going to make it to church, but not enough time to really change. I was going to just put the pants on over the spandex, but I was too sweaty to do that. So naturally I come out of the ladies room carrying sweaty spandex and there is a big crowd. YEAH!

I was still wearing my running jacket and race bib when I got to church. A lady was walking by my car and asked if I ran in it that morning. She knew some people doing it and asked how it was. She loved that I made it to church in time and said she wanted to do it next year. Then when I was in church and it was time to greet each other one of the Pastors asked if I ran to church that morning. haha. He loved that I ran and still came to church and then he told me about a crispy creme race...I can't even talk about it without getting nauseous. Maybe I will elaborate for Random Wednesday.

It was a great morning, but it was like unleashing a chocolate addict at a chocolate race...oh wait...

Have a Blessed Evening

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.


No comments:

Post a Comment