Potlucks still terrify me



Hello my Lovelies and Gents, 

This past Sunday we had a potluck at church. The Former Fat Girl used to get giddy beyond belief for a potluck. They are a goldmine!  But, for me they stress me out. Let’s face it, the majority of food is off limits.

There is always so much food. So much rich goodness. She would not even worry about missing something because she would plan on several plates full of food. Seconds…and possibly thirds.
To make sure that things were even on Sunday we were assigned a type of food based on the first letter of our last name. My name put me in the Main Dish category.  I wasn’t sure what to bring, so I improvised. Shh….I totally switched categories. I brought some garlic hummus and whole wheat pita that I ripped into bite size pieces.

The way it was set up was two long tables….hmm…which to choose from. I would not be going for seconds so I had to choose my table wisely. I actually chose it because it was the shortest line.

I filled my plate with salad, hummus and pita (and I did see a young boy in front of me put some on his plate so I felt a little giddy), green beans, tomato/mozzarella/basil salad, and then I didn’t know what to do. I put a little pasta on for some carb loading and I splurged on a sloppy joes. I didn’t fill the bun like I normally do.

I didn’t take a picture, but I wish I had. There was so much green.  I paired it with unsweetened iced tea. 

The potluck coincided with a meeting. The meeting went long and totally worked in my favor. I was sitting up front. It made it a little hard to get up again. That meant that I kept it to one plate and did not get up for dessert. I never even looked at the table. Which is good, because I am pretty sure the visuals would have been dancing through my head the whole time.I stayed strong though. Yeah!  Good for me!

As I said, the meeting ran long and it ate into my afternoon plans. I was supposed to meet Ms. Amy around 1 for a little bit and then go to the park for 5 miles. I did meet up with Ms. Amy for a few and then I met Ms. Crystal in the park. I got in 3 miles. I wanted more, but it was getting late and I wanted to take some pictures. Besides, my hip was hurting. It’s been hurting since Mr. Brian and I did 5 miles last week. Those hills are hurting it I do believe. Grr.

I am proud of myself though. I didn’t overindulge and I very well could have. It would have been very easy. So much food. There have been times that I have considered just packing my own meal for potlucks. That’s how much they terrify me now. This gave me confidence. I don’t have work potlucks anymore, and that’s an added bonus to my career change, but I see a lot more church potlucks in my future. I may have to change my last name though to move to side dishes permanently.

Have a Blessed Evening

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile

Instagram: Jennie5973

New to Pinterest

www.pinterest.com/jhendersonfit

Comments

Popular Posts