Saturday, May 10, 2014

Cruise Part 2 - Carnival Victory: Travel to Miami and Day 1 on the Ship

Hello my Lovelies and Gents,

So I know I probably got annoying in the months and weeks leading up to the Cruise. I'm sorry, but it was so worth the planning and preparing.  You might say that I was a little anxious. I was so anxious that I woke up at 5am, the day of our flight out, to use the ladies room and there was no falling back asleep. I was ready to go.

Before we left I weighed myself and then weighed myself with the suitcase to make sure it was under 50 lbs. So I knew before starting the trip just how much I weighed.  And then I made sure to have some breakfast before getting on the plane.

The flight was full and there was limited overhead space so I leaped at the chance to check my carry-on at the plane. It was hard on my shoulder. I was happy to meet it at baggage claim in Miami.

So we get on the plane and Aunt Carol and I have aisle seats across from each other. On the other side of me is the tallest thinnest couple ever. Seriously it was cruel. The bonus is that I was comfortable in my seat with plenty of room. The downside is that I felt like a giant blob sitting there.  I got over it though.  I did have to use the ladies room a couple of times on the flight (which was only 2 hours and 20 minutes...that's how much water I drink haha). Naturally we hit turbulance while I was in there. That was fun.

When we arrived I was starving. I had some water on the plane, but nothing to eat. After we got our luggage, I felt like Hercules grabbing those giant suitcases with ease, I needed to eat. We found a pizza place and I was willing to go there, but then I saw that it was attached to an Au Bon Pain. I got a grilled chicken with lemon, tomato, and spinach on ciabatta. It was yummy and filling.

We caught our shuttle to the hotel and it was great. Our driver pointed out everything. Our hotel was right by the port and down the street from American Airlines Arena. Being a basketball fan that was cool, even though I don't like the Heat.

We got in our room and I just about had a heart attack. It was white white everywhere. I was paranoid to do anything. And super paranoid that I would get my lady thing early.

Our room overlooked the port and we saw some shops and restaurants. After a little rest we went out to walk around. It was Hot. After walking a little, we sat down to enjoy some of the live just happened to be at a daiquiri bar. I got a Pina Colada.

We walked around a little more and then decided to go back and get changed before dinner.

I was happy to walk. We decided on a Cuban restaurant. We wanted to eat outside and the server took us down to be right by the dock. It was beautiful. I ordered a roast pork sandwich and it was yummy, but we were blown away by the plantain chips with lemon and garlic...O.M.G.!

We walked around a little more and got some gelato. I got coconut...surprise!

Okay, so now remember that I got up early and I was super excited for the next day. I was so tired even though we made it to Starbucks during Frappuccino happy hour (mocha light baby!). So after several trips to CVS we went to the room and got ready for bed.

I got up early in the morning to hit the fitness center before getting ready to go to the ship. The fitness center was tiny. It had 2 treadmills, a bike, a stepper, and a weights machine. I was the only one in there. Originally I had seen a sign that there was a free yoga class in the park across from the hotel, but I wasn't sure that I would be back in time to shower and get ready. As hot as it was I am glad I didn't. I had a hard time breathing in the fitness center and I had the fan on.  I struggled on the treadmill. I drank so much water that they ran out. Oops.   Luckily my view was stunning.

I got my time in and felt better after the first 30 minutes. I could have gone longer than an hour, but I had to get back to the room and pack up.

Happily Aunt Carol picked up some fruit for me for breakfast. Then we were off. We arrived at the ship and checked in. We were there when they started letting people on board. So you know that things couldn't go too smoothly. The lady who checked us in was on her first week on the job. When they took our Sign & Sail cards to beep us in they didn't beep. They Buzzed!  So we needed to see guest services when we got on board for them to fix it. They couldn't do anything for a little while so we couldn't sign up for the unlimited bubbles program right away. We also couldn't order a drink. Luckily we could still get food and iced tea.

The grill was open. Hungry girl + the smell of hamburgers = not so good. I felt like an animal. Gimme gimme gimme!  I got a cheeseburger, banana, chocolate milk, pita chips, french fries, and iced tea.

Things were nice for a little while. I even got some sun sitting on the deck. We got our cards fixed and signed up for the bubbles program. We even went to our cabin and unpacked. By the time we were ready to set sail it was raining. The Bon Voyage party was moved to the casino. I don't care about a party. I want to see us leaving port. We ordered our Bon Voyage drinks (mine was a Hurricane Wave) and sat by the window...then went outside under cover. There were other ships in port and we were waving at the passengers outside on them and they waved back. So much fun.

We set sail a little after 4. After a little bit we went back to get ready for dinner. Our dinner time every night was 6pm.

Our table was in the center of the first floor of the dining room. At first I was sad because we didn't have a window table, but the next night would make things all worth it (the entertainment).  We got to talking to the other ladies at our table and our Servers introduced themselves to us: Peter, Christopher, and Abdioko. I loved these guys.

I got a little giddy every night when the menu was handed to me. I loved seeing the Heart symbols next to some of the starters and entrees. On our first night I ordered the Gazpacho Andalouse as my starter (chilled tomato broth with diced plum tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and mediterranean herbs).  It was yummy. Aunt Carol ordered the escargot. I even tried a bite. Not bad.

For my entree I ordered the Chicken a la Greque (broiled boneless breast of chicken with herbs and tomato confit, virgin olive and basil oil). I didn't realize it came with pasta and I ordered a baked potato also. This meal was amazing.

You know I got a lot giddy when it came to dessert. There were hearts there too. They denoted sugar-free options. I ordered the Orange sponge cake filled with low calorie orange creme. It was like a creamsicle. O.M.G.

I was getting a headache and was a little annoyed. I assumed it was because of the storm happening outside. After dinner we went upstairs to check out the Fitness Center. We walked across the Lido deck and saw the viewing of Frozen on the big screen. It wasn't raining that much and there were some kids in the pool watching. Cool.

After checking out the Fitness Center we went down to the shops and looked around. I fell in love with a melon colored sweater. It was more than I wanted to spend, but I was cold and I couldn't walk away. I got it. And I went downstairs and changed before we went to a show. We went to the piano bar for a few songs and that was nice. Then we went to go play bingo. However, it was $20 for one game so we just watched and then stayed for the opening night show which had a little bit of everything offered over the next week.

And then it was time for bed. I was out like a light. Sunrise was at 6:26 the next morning. I needed to get up early.  Tomorrow was a day at Sea. Lots of relaxing...ahhh...

Have a Blessed Evening

****Please note****

If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

No comments:

Post a Comment