Ted Lasso Season 1: Episode 10- It's the Hope that Kills You

Hello My Lovelies and Gents,

Better late than never, but I'm happy to say that I'm finally ready to break down the next Ted Lasso episode. And man is it full of good stuff. Before I get to it I need to tell you how my week was. 

It wasn't great. Today marks Two Months in my 50s and my second unexpected death. I had a ton of things that I wanted to get done this weekend. A couple of storms ran through and our power was out for a few hours. It almost felt like it was God telling me to sit and breathe. I couldn't figure out what was going on in my head until I realized that it was fresh grief. I honestly don't know how I don't recognize the feeling as soon as it hits at this point. But, that's grief for you. And so yesterday, I breathed. Today I repotted some plants. How is Luc doing? Well, he was fine and then he wasn't. I repotted him so hopefully he'll be okay. I did put a fake succulent in his place because I just adore that pot. 



I did make sure to have some self-care this weekend. While the power was out I took the time to finish reading a book on my Kindle. When to power came back on I gave myself a much-needed facial and then I colored my hair today. I felt so much better. And then the cough came back. It started with a scratchy throat yesterday and then today I woke up with a cough. I'm going to see Six the Musical tomorrow night and I'm going to be SO PISSED if I can't sing along with it. It has been on my bucket list forever and I know every song. Seriously this rain has to give me a break. 

Now let's get down to business. Let's see what advice Coach Lasso has for us today. 

Ted Lasso Season 1: Episode 10- It's the Hope that Kills You

We open with Nate walking into the locker room to find that everything is in place already.  And then we are introduced to a new character, Will, who is one of my favorites. We barely see him during this episode, but in future seasons he is HILARIOUS. He says he is the new Clubhouse attendant.  We soon learn that Nate has been promoted to the coaching staff. The entire team celebrates. They even present him with a whistle. One of the best running bits is that he always blows it indoors when it's too loud. 

Next, Roy walks into Coach Lasso's office to give him the Captain armband. Ted gives it back and says his new rule is that the current Captain has to pick the new Captain. 

Coach Lasso is talking to the whole team. He says that Manchester City is coming into their home, but they are going to treat it like any other game. Nate brings in a video of Jamie as Motivation. He is back with his old team, Manchester City, and says that he carried Richmond when he was with them. Isaac throws a chair at the screen. 

Next, we are in the Crown & Anchor (the pub). As they are preparing for the last game of the season, Coach Beard is still explaining how the Premier League works to Coach Lasso. The best fans on the show (Paul, Baz, and Jeremy) approach Coach Lasso and thank him for doing his best, even if his best is $h&t. He tells them to "have a little hope." And everyone laughs at him. My favorite bartender, Mae, asks him "Haven't you been here long enough to realize that it's the hope that kills you?"

Since it's the finale and there are so many great little nuggets I'm including more than usual.  Do not let that stop you from watching it though. 

Ted, Beard, and Nate end up at Ted's apartment trying to figure out a way to win. Ted asks Nate if he thinks they can win. Nate says no. It's hopeless. Ted runs out of the room. He comes back holding a small "Believe" sign. Nate asks him "You have that hanging in your home?"

Ted replies "I have a ton of these hanging in my home. This one here is hanging on my bathroom mirror. It's the first thing that I see in the morning and the last thing at night when I rationalize being too tired to floss."

The next day Ted brings biscuits to Rebecca. He tells there that he thinks that her football club would have been better with a soccer coach. Her response is "Every disadvantage has its advantage." Coach Lasso's disadvantage is that he doesn't know what he's doing, but his advantage is that he sees things differently than the other managers. Shouldn't that empower him to cause confusion? Coach Lasso runs out of the office in excitement. 

The night before the match Ted is video chatting with his son Henry. Henry comments that when he watches the matches, it doesn't look like Coach Lasso does anything. 

Ted's response is so good. "It's not like being a football coach back home. I have a lot less control. Once the game gets going, I can't tell my fellas what to do so I's gotta hope that everything that I have been trying to teach them made some sort of impact on them and that they'll make the right decisions when they are on their own."

In the locker room, Roy makes Isaac the Captain. He tells him to never stop breaking TVs. 

It's time for Ted's pre-match motivational speech. "Listen up. I've been hearing this phrase that I'm not too crazy about. It's the hope that kills you. I disagree. I think it's the lack of hope that comes and gets ya. See, I believe in hope. I believe in Believe (points to the sign). Now where I'm from we have a saying too, a question actually. Do you believe in miracles?"


The game starts with Jamie Tartt taunting Roy Kent, who is not starting. There are a lot of close calls, but the score at the half is 0-0. The fans are a little excited about how Richmond is playing. Roy Kent will start in the second half and the crowd goes CRAZY. Unfortunately, Manchester City makes the first goal. Roy chases down Jamie and stops a goal. But, he goes down. He's hurt. Before they help him up, the team wants him to hear the crowd chanting for him.  I'll just say that it's a F*cking good chant. He hobbles off of the field. I felt the pain for him. 

The team learns that they just need a tie to stay in the Premier League and they score on a trick play. The game is tied and the crowd goes crazy. But, before you can sit down Jamie passes to a teammate who scores. Richmond loses and is relegated to the lower league. 

On his way to the locker room, Ted passes a room where Jamie is getting berated by his father for passing the ball and not taking the goal himself. 

Coach Lasso's finale speech of the season is another great one. "This is a sad moment for all of us. There ain't nothing I can say standing in front of you right now that can take that away, but please do me this favor, will you? Lift your heads up and look around this locker room. Look at everybody else in here. And I want you to be grateful that you're going through this with all of these other folks. Because I promise you, there is something worse out there than being sad, and that is being alone and being sad. Ain't nobody in this room is alone." He then reminds them that the Goldfish has the shortest memory and to be Goldfish at this moment.

Before Jamie gets on the team bus, Coach Beard hands him a note from Coach Lasso. "Way to make that extra pass- Ted" and he includes a little toy army man (to keep him safe). 

Back in Rebecca's office we finally learn Higgins' first name. It's Leslie. I just adore Higgins. After he leaves, Ted offers his resignation to Rebecca. She tells him that he is not going anywhere. 

And thus we end Season 1 and it only gets better from here. 

So which lesson do we focus on today? Now you can see why I had to include so much. There were so many good ones to choose from. 

*Have a Little Hope

*Believe in yourself (the sign on the bathroom mirror)

*Every disadvantage has an advantage

*Hoping that they remember everything he teaches them when he's not there. 

*It's the lack of hope that gets you.

*Ain't nobody in this room is alone.

So which do I pick? I could pick them all. They all speak to me. I one-hundred percent feel "Hoping that they remember everything he teaches them when he's not there." I'm a teacher and a trainer. And my job as a trainer is to be a teacher. I know that I have had some clients for several years. It's not because they haven't learned from me. It's because they know they won't do it without someone pushing it. My number one goal is to teach clients to not need me. It's the worst business plan. LOL. Luckily they love me. 

So let's go with "It's the lack of hope that gets you". Oh boy, there is so much to unpack there. It's so hard to get motivated. It's so easy to be hard on yourself. I mean I know what I have to do to be in my top shape. That doesn't mean that I don't struggle and sometimes it does feel hopeless. You can feel like you are doing everything right, but there is no change. So many things can make a difference. Education. Support system. Intensity. Food. Your friend who works out may have advice for you, and that's great, but that might not be what works for your body. There is so much to consider. Genetics. Healthy History. 

Don't panic. I know that can make you feel even more hopeless. The answer is out there. Consult a trainer, a nutritionist, or a physician if you absolutely can't see a positive ending. But, before you get to that point make sure you are making the effort that you can. The majority of people are more capable than they realize. They don't actually push themselves as hard as they are capable. Of course, then there are those people that go balls out and burn out fast too. My number one piece of advice is always going to be cardio. Bike. Swim. Run. Walk. Dance. The goal is to get your heart rate up.  That is key. Ten-thousand steps don't mean as much if they aren't active steps. If you have a job where you are on your feet all day, that doesn't actually mean that they are active steps. Invest in a smartwatch/band that monitors your heart rate.  I've seen the ads: Lose weight without cardio. Is that possible? Yes. Is that the best way? No. Why? Because cardio is not just for weight loss. It's for a healthy heart. It's to help with blood pressure. It's to help with diabetes. If you come to me and your overall health is not your number one priority then we are going to have a problem. I am not the trainer for you. And here's a bonus. Regular cardio releases endorphins that make you happier. THIS IS NOT TO REPLACE THERAPY! I've seen that too often. Running makes you feel better, but it doesn't fix all of the problems. 

I know what works for me. I know that if I get my cardio in and food prep then I am golden. I have some obstacles right now and some days it does feel hopeless. I am terrified of another injury. Right now my knee is not killing me every day. That counts for something. I have a different life than I did before. The bad knee wasn't as big of an issue when I sat at a desk every day. That was a lifetime ago. I am active all day now and that would kill me. That's not to say I don't have difficult days with my knee, but those days are few are far between. A couple of weeks ago it felt like my plantar fasciitis was back and I cried myself to sleep. That was a night when I felt hopeless. And then I spent several days focusing on my stretching and that pain went away. There are days when I feel hopeless, but I try really hard to focus on the positives. I am strong. I have muscles everywhere. I am flexible. I am less prone to injuries because I am more flexible than before. I eat well. Could I eat better? Yes, but I'm okay. So it is true, it's the hope that may kill me because I am not giving up. 

Alright, if you are feeling hopeless let me offer a few suggestions. First, keep a food diary. And I mean take note of EVERYTHING. Keep track of what you are eating, when you are eating it, and who prepared it. Keep track of the sodium, the sugar, and the transfat. Keep track of the snacking. Keep track of the water. Keep track of the coffee. Keep track of the sugary drinks. Keep track of when you are hungry. Are you eating to eat or are you eating because you are still hungry? 

I've always said that it's easier to make small changes at first. It's easier to make smaller changes and hold to them than to make giant changes stick. Cut out all drinks except water. Make sure you are drinking water. Prepare all of your food for one week. Skip fast food and frozen dinners. Ask a friend to be your accountability buddy. They can walk with you or you can just check in with each other every day. Little changes make a difference. Get one thing down and then make another change. 

I hope this helps. I need to get some rest now. I started this post yesterday and my cough is getting annoying. I need to get some rest before the show tomorrow.  I will just throw this out there before I go. If Coach Lasso's last speech about being sad AND alone resonated with you, then get in touch with me. I will be your cheerleader. I will be your accountability partner. I will be your Coach Lasso. You are not alone in this journey. See below for how to contact me.  xoxo

Have a Blessed Evening,

I appreciate you.


Jennie
xoxo


****Please note****


If you feel like you are alone on your journey and you just need some encouragement I am here for you! Shoot me an email and I will do my best to check in on you or give you the words of support you need several times a week. The journey is so much easier if you have support.

jhendersonfit@gmail.com 
Check out my Facebook Page for Confessions (there are before and work-in-progress pictures):

http://www.
facebook.com/ConfessionsOfAFormerFatGir

yeah, sorry, I messed up and the "l" is missing....I need an assistant :-)

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter: hugsnsmile


Instagram: Jennie5973

Comments

Popular Posts